Setup advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setup advice

Default Setup advice

Hola,

I am looking to start DJing using traktor, a mixer, and a midi fighter for live acts and probably just ableton to produce tracks.

Is using something like traktor, midi fighter, and a pioneer 800 feasible?

I don't know much about cords, speakers, and hardware required so comment please.

Thanks.

PS - yes I know I'm n00b you don't have to tell me

Tech Convert

There's gonna be a lot of mouse/keyboard action but yes, this is technically feasible, granted you had the correct sound card to connect the mixer to your computer to utilize its MIDI capabilities. The biggest caveat I see is the lack of any tactile control over either deck (pitch bending, beat matching, cueing), which would be robbing you of quite a few basic transition techniques. Besides, such a nice mixer deserves to have some buddies to sit next to.

cant i just hotkey the midifighter to cueing etc?

or would you recommend like a small controller?

Tech Wizard

its not just gonna be less immerse by mapping the midifighter to things, it will be a LOT harder. with jogs or touch strips *for all you twitch users) you can easily find a point in a song, stop something quickly, beatmatch, and in general control the song better. with only cue points, what happens if you dont press cue at *just* the right time? then you have to go to your computer and quickly skip ahead to somewhere else that works. if your on a budget id reccomend gettin an entry level controller like the numark mixtrack pro to help with this because while you CAN ues just a midifighter it really will be more difficult
    Numark Mixtrack Pro - Novation Launchpad - VDJ 7 PRO (dont hate I like VDJ) - Ableton suite 8.x.x - Thinkpad 13' Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWoods View Post
    It shouldnt matter how you make people dance, just as long as you do.
    ...that last bit is completely sig-able if anyone chooses to.

Thanks. I'm not on too much of a budget I just didn't think I'd new CDJs because I'm not gonna use CDs... Should I just google "controllers"?

What sort of music are you going to DJ and what do you see your style being. Are you just going to play tracks?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Wizard

if you want a good solid entry level unit go for a numark mixtrack pro. theyre well built for a plastic controller, large, enough buttons for most mappings, have a lot of leds to look professional with (you'd be surprised how many people who dont know about djing think leds = quality) and it will suit your for a good while before you decide to upgrade
    Numark Mixtrack Pro - Novation Launchpad - VDJ 7 PRO (dont hate I like VDJ) - Ableton suite 8.x.x - Thinkpad 13' Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWoods View Post
    It shouldnt matter how you make people dance, just as long as you do.
    ...that last bit is completely sig-able if anyone chooses to.

Tech Wizard

Id recommend a more beginner oriented controller. No need to spend all your money now when you haven't really experienced what djing is all about. You want to be a dj right now, but there is still a few months to go before you will SERIOUSLY want to be a dj. And these in between months are pretty crucial. You will understand your style more, what the software is all about, and what you actually want out of a controller. For these reasons you should buy something like the mixtrack pro for an all in one package. Get the basics down, figure out what you NEED for your style and build on that. Save the money you would have spent on gear for gear a little down the road. If you want something a step up from the mix track pro you could always grab an S2, you get a free copy of traktor and have a really solid controller.

Lethal - obviously I don't know much about it so I would probably fit into the category of those guys that set up at small bars or house parties and basically link other people's remixes together and fling the color adjustment every once in a while, but that's not the goal.

The music I'm gonna be focusing on is disco electric and maybe throwing in some groove electro like Pretty lights or whatever if i feel like getting harder.

IDEALLY - id like to learn how artists like treasure fingers remix tracks so thoroughly they sound like brand new songs (e.g. - their walking on a dream remix).

And then of course make completely proprietary songs through ableton. I've had some experience playing with effects while performing live on my friends pioneer 800 w/ CDJS, but I don't wanna use CDs. So if I could find something that would give me the "mixer capabilities" and still let me control each deck without going the whole 4000 pioneer route - that would be optimal.

PS - I really appreciate the input and research everything you guys are saying so plz continue to give it.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast