Playing tracks i'm not familiar with, need some advice?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Playing tracks i'm not familiar with, need some advice?

I mainly play out electro and progressive house. I've recently been brought on board to a local clubnight brand where they do play that sort of stuff, but only the headline acts or the last few DJs who are on get to play it.

I'm second on the decks, and the guy before me is playing deep house around 125 ish.. and i've to take over from him and progress it a little bit. Deep house and Techy stuff isn't my style and i'm rarely exposed to it so i'm not too sure what to play. I wish i could play all the mainroom bangers but my set time wouldn't allow that. I've looked at the beatport charts and genre charts to pick out some stuff and have a few tracks but i'm not entirely sure of what to play...

I plan to play a couple of deep house tracks and work it up into some light progressive house but nothing main room if you get me..? Any advice would be appreciated.

It's strange to need to play something i'm not used to DJing but I have to take what i get set time-wise and work my way up to eventually get to play the last hour or at least where i can play what i love.
    Like my page on facebook: JERC

Follow me on Soundcloud: JERC Music

Follow me on Twitter: JERCmusic

depends what you mean by deep house? you could play a lot of the stuff coming off Hot Creations at the moment, little bit of art department, jamie jones etc, check out the 'deep house/bass music' thread! i personally would take it lighter on more of a minimal tech house thing, a la pan pot and crosstown rebels!

Tech Mentor

As a label I can also recommend "Noir Music" "Body Rhythm Music" and "Nightbird Music".

Give up the gig. You're not qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Give up the gig. You're not qualified.
    Thank you! Pass it on to some one who know what the fuck they are doing instead of embarrassing yourself and the brand.

If you're going to be an opener, you just can't go look at the "Deep House" charts and expect that to fly as people will tell there is no originality and discovery in your set.

Quote Originally Posted by JERC OFFICIAL View Post
    It's strange to need to play something i'm not used to DJing but I have to take what i get set time-wise and work my way up to eventually get to play the last hour or at least where i can play what i love.
    I've been offered a few gigs but turned them down simply because I don't play/like the music they want.

I do what I do because of the love for the music, not because someone is offering me £££ to do what I can.

Tech Mentor

take some time to learn some stuff other than electro prog house. don't just browse through the beatport charts. really get in there and find artists and labels that you like.

last year I saw this guy by the name of DirtyRock(recently signed a few tracks to Big Fish and Big Alliance ) in an LA club. there was 3 opening Djs and a headliner, he was second so his job was to take it from deeper techy house into electro and mainroom prog. it was easily the best set I listened to all of last year. he would play a few of the deeper house stuff and let the energy build in the room then when he had everyone on the dance floor he would drop some electro tracks then go back to the deeper stuff and do it again, every electro track he dropped would be bigger than the last one. by the time he was done the place was about 70% full and everyone was ready for more.

Get familiar. It's your job to know the music. Stick the playlist on your phone/iPod/Walkman cassette player and listen through. With Deep House and other dubbier genres, you need to do slow blends and use some clever EQing. Don't expect the tracks to have "drops" like Electro House might.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Wizard

It's not such a case of just give up the gig because i'm not qualified. I asked for some advice on what to play, because i'm looking to lean about more about that styles of music. I'm open to everything i just said i didn't have previous experience playing it or listening to it often. The guy who booked me knows the style i'm usually into, but I can't expect to just get the later set times when i'm new into his DJ line up. Thanks for the examples of labels etc to check out, I'm not looking to just get whatever is in the top 10 and play it out with no preparation or plan. Give me a break.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_08 View Post
    I've been offered a few gigs but turned them down simply because I don't play/like the music they want.

I do what I do because of the love for the music, not because someone is offering me £££ to do what I can.
    I'm not being paid for it, it's a chance to get more involved with gigs in the small as it is dance scene in my city.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast