DJ played a pre-recorded set at a "DJ Comp" I was at last night... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    My argument is it isn't their problem, or yours....it's the people who judged the comp who should have at least a tiny bit of knowledge into knowing when someone is doing it 'for real' or faking it.
    There were no judges, just the people on the dancefloor voted.

Quote Originally Posted by ToOntown View Post
    Disqualification should only be an option for those who broke the rules. My question to OP--what were the rules?
    That's the thing, it wasn't a super serious comp, no real rules, most of them know each other and are friends and probably got together to put it on, and whoever won got to headline this years "Filthfest" which is the local all day EDM show in the summer.

Here was a post made by the President of DUB DUB U, (Western Washington's EDM club) who put on the show, i think he handled things accordingly:
    "So clearly there was some sort of discrepancy with last nights event, and as current President of Dub Dub U I feel that I should comment in some capacity on this discrepancy.

Personally, I was not at the event, sinus infections are a bitch...anyways... The event put on was intended to be a friendly dj competition/fundraiser for DECA. Some members of the club opted to create a more intricate act for this event, in the process they had to take steps which some of us may feel were inappropriate, i.e. Prefabricating a mix/Visual presentation, and playing that mix at the event. Instead of performing these parts independently and live.

As a club we do not condone this type of action, and I would like to personally apologize for any "false advertising" that may have occurred as to what you were obtaining with your ticket. I also cannot take responsibility for the decisions made by the DECA club and its officers.

That being said please refrain from utilizing these methods, in a competition setting in the future. However, in the sense of a concert, you may utilize whatever methods you see fit for performance. Although I would like to urge our performer members to try and innovate with their live act, and to avoid doing things that THEY feel will harm their credibility as well as the credibility of DUB DUB U.

The individuals in question have been contacted and spoken to, as have all of the club members who had participated last night.

I would like to applaud most of the discourse on our page about this issue. It is important for us to discuss what is appropriate, professional, and "fair" in the context of these events.

I am certain that this issue WILL NOT surface again, and we as a club WILL be taking steps to insure that not only our integrity as a club will be preserved but also the experience of our guests and performers will continue to progress towards top quality.

That being said, let us remember that we DID raise tons of money for a fellow AS club, we DID create a strong business relationship with another group on campus, we DID have a fairly kick ass event from all accounts, and we DO have another kick ass event this weekend, and many of our club members are participating in yet another kick ass event the weekend after.

So let us all collectively learn from each others mistakes and move forward.

and again thank you to ALL of the performers from last night, as well as Ryan I, DECA, and everyone who helps make our events possible!

-Blake"
    Last edited by Sn0wday; 04-09-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234