Recording vinyl

Thread: Recording vinyl

Tech Student

Default Recording vinyl

hi I want to record my vinyl to listen them in my itunes and mix it with traktor, how can I do do it easily?

I want to choose the quality of the recording if it s possible !!

thanks

Using your audio interface, and your Traktor settings; set the recording feature to external with the turntable as the input device. Traktor records in wav quality.

Why not just use the vinyl with Traktor? Surely beat matching it manually would save a lot of time and vinyl having a great sound quality would be better . . But I can understand if it is a limited press or white label why you would want to import it to iTunes.
    | TSP2 | Behringer DJX 750 | NI Audio 8 | Asus Eee PC | Novation Launchpad | Kontrol X1 | 2x Technics 1210 MK II's

Tech Student

Thanks ! I need to have a wav copy of 12" to work that in traktor (sample, beat ) and to listen it everywhere!

maan, just play the wax! it'd be such a shame to spend money and time on the vinyl and then not actually play it out..! you can set up traktor to turn the decks into 'live input' and use the effects if you really want to.. but white labels and limited vinyl only releases are the best thing ever, don't f*** with it

Quote Originally Posted by belchman View Post
    maan, just play the wax! it'd be such a shame to spend money and time on the vinyl and then not actually play it out..! you can set up traktor to turn the decks into 'live input' and use the effects if you really want to.. but white labels and limited vinyl only releases are the best thing ever, don't f*** with it
    Agreed, I never play full vinyl sets at clubs as there is far too much vibration in the booth and I don't fancy putting my records under a needle fully cranked down (sometimes with a 50p attached)! :S But I do still bring my vinyl just in case I want to play some wax and mix it up
    | TSP2 | Behringer DJX 750 | NI Audio 8 | Asus Eee PC | Novation Launchpad | Kontrol X1 | 2x Technics 1210 MK II's

Nothing that you will record off of vinyl will sound as good as just playing it straight. But I do rip it anyways just to listen to the tracks on my phone when I'm not home. I use audacity (free). It records the tracks and and allows you to edit it. That way you can cut the begining before the track kicks in when all you hear is the needle drop. Also I adjust the volume after its recorded so its loud but not clipping. I highly recommend this software.

Tech Guru

search on the forums..I posted a thread on this recently goes over needles and more if I was on my computer I would link it..

I'll update the post later unless you find it by then
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Audacity is the way to go IMO there's also some other things you'll wanna do to clean the sound if it doesn't sound right also having good needles pays off. I always used ortofon concord nightclubs. They always seemed to sound better then the shures IMO.