Link Ableton to vinyl turntables - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Have you tried mapping pitch controls?

Seriously, this.

set two buttons to nudge, and you'll be fine.

Ableton also has wide and fine pitch controls.

When I had my vcm-600, I'd match Ableton to other things all the time. It takes no more effort than spinning with vinyl.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Ableton also has wide and fine pitch controls.

When I had my vcm-600, I'd match Ableton to other things all the time. It takes no more effort than spinning with vinyl.
    Sure you can do it and I do it occasionally, for a whole set though when your completely at the mercy of someone else's BPM not fluctuating wildly and needing to spend any time beat matching/nudging continually when you are trying to cue up/load loops and play with other stuff would get very very tiring very fast imho.

Guess it depends on his mates beatmatching skill, genres, mixing style and BPM range and if the loops / fx are going to run continually or just one shot bits and pieces.

i'm going to give it a try this weekend, see how it goes. I'll let you know! For info, we're going to be playing techno. I'll make sure he keeps the vinyl steady otherwise he'll be getting a dead arm

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Sure you can do it and I do it occasionally, for a whole set though when your completely at the mercy of someone else's BPM not fluctuating wildly and needing to spend any time beat matching/nudging continually when you are trying to cue up/load loops and play with other stuff would get very very tiring very fast imho.

Guess it depends on his mates beatmatching skill, genres, mixing style and BPM range and if the loops / fx are going to run continually or just one shot bits and pieces.
    I mean…Ableton sucks at following a MIDI clock. I've done it. Matching Traktor to Live with a MIDI clock works fine, going the other way around is a tremendous headache. I can't imagine how weird it would be with a less reliable clock or one generated off audio.

I honestly think doing it manually would be easier and more reliable.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I mean…Ableton sucks at following a MIDI clock. I've done it. Matching Traktor to Live with a MIDI clock works fine, going the other way around is a tremendous headache. I can't imagine how weird it would be with a less reliable clock or one generated off audio.

I honestly think doing it manually would be easier and more reliable.
    Completely take back alot of what I said, and you are probably right (for now) I totally forgot just HOW bad Ableton is at keeping sync with an external source till I tried using it for more than a few mins. Just seems so ridiculous that slave clock is SO bad still... what a basic fecking feature

Ms pinkys is rad. I have it and use it. Still rewriting the m4l patch though
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

ow does Ms. Pinky handle beat-sync'd fx? Can you use beat-repeat on a clip that is being controlled by the Pinky vinyl? (or do you have to keep the Pinky Clip sync'd w/Abletons master tempo manually?)
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Ms Pinky playback is independant from Live, it does not sync with Live, it's like an instrument plug in that plays sample you load into it in a variety of ways. However with the Max for Live Ms Pinky device, you could make it sync to Lives transport.

Yet realize Ms Pinky plays/manipulates audio independently from Ableton. You load clips into Ms Pinky, Ms Pinky does NOT play/scratch Ableton clips.

SO you wouldnt put a Beat Repeat on an Ableton audio Clip and manipulate playback with Pinky vinyl. You would load what ever clip into Ms Pinky and you would put a Beat Repeat after the Ms Pinky device.

HOWEVER, you could record Loops of manipulated audio clips in Ableton using an M4L looper like rbrt23's Superlooper. The Superlooper has an auto export feature. You can route that to the Pinky device so when the recorded loop gets exported it sends its file name directly to the Pinky device to select for playback.

That said, the Pinky M4L device can be configured in a bunch of ways depending on how savvy you are in Max. For example you could

You could what?!?

(I'm on the edge of my seat, here!!!!)
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast