Is DJ'ing music from blogs legal? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Ehh, i don't know if you guys follow a lot of EDM artists, but the majority of them couldn't give less of a shit whether you pay for their music or not as they make most of their money from shows and most record labels in the EDM industry are owned/foudned by EDM artists, still making huge bucks from shows.

IMo, if it's an unpaid gig and it's a house party/whatever, who cares, play whatever. If it's a paid gig, where usually in the EDM scene you aren't on for that long since it's usually a line up, pay for the music. It really won't be much if your set is 90 minutes MAX.

I disagree if it is an up and coming producer, my best mate has just quit his job because he is seeing a return from selling his tracks... that means more time producing and better tracks, simple as that. it doesn't matter to anyone getting 4 or more figures per show, but guys breaking out of their local scene getting 3 figures it is very important to...
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wday View Post
    Ehh, i don't know if you guys follow a lot of EDM artists, but the majority of them couldn't give less of a shit whether you pay for their music or not as they make most of their money from shows and most record labels in the EDM industry are owned/foudned by EDM artists, still making huge bucks from shows.
    So WRONG!!! I bet 99.9% of every person making music would like to be paid for their art. I can safely say all the people I know who do it wish they could do it full time BUT because of the shortsighted mentality of people who would make the above statement most of them have to have "day Jobs" because it's OK to steal the music it it's "just for a house party" Sorry Bro, Just plain wrong.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    I disagree if it is an up and coming producer, my best mate has just quit his job because he is seeing a return from selling his tracks... that means more time producing and better tracks, simple as that. it doesn't matter to anyone getting 4 or more figures per show, but guys breaking out of their local scene getting 3 figures it is very important to...
    Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    So WRONG!!! I bet 99.9% of every person making music would like to be paid for their art. I can safely say all the people I know who do it wish they could do it full time BUT because of the shortsighted mentality of people who would make the above statement most of them have to have "day Jobs" because it's OK to steal the music it it's "just for a house party" Sorry Bro, Just plain wrong.
    Then that's an issue with the record label, not the artists. Artists see something like 4 cents per track sold, the rest is eaten up by the label. don't believe me? Ask the ridiculous amount of average to mediocre to shit producers getting signed by no name labels off that shithole that soundcloud has become that is consistently lowering the bar for what is acceptable quality in electronic music.

But this is very strictly speaking EDM, I can't speak for other genres.

nobody isn't getting paid for their music, or isn't getting "big" because of small-time piracy, that's simply untrue.

from what i know in the hip hop industry when i almost got signed by UGK West you might get a signing bonus from the record lable but thats possible the only money you would ever really make from the label. they do eat up most of the record sale profits and real money made is through touring and shows and such.

I mean, I really have to agree with what Bassnectar says in his DJTT interview:

"But then again, i do not know how essential new DJs are. And that is a crumby thing to say, especially concerning the fact that i am a very inclusive and community oriented person, AND have taught DJ and Remix classes and workshops for years. I *want* to support anyone do anything and everything they want, ideally. It’s a loaded topic that deserves a lot of explanation in order to clearly establish the point, but i just think there is a level of saturation of both DJs and producers these days that its become very obligatory and unstimulating."

There are so many "upcoming producers" that are really not up to par getting signed. first things first I probably wouldn't pay for or "pirate" their music to begin with. Truly talented upcoming producers are needle in a haystack these days, and forcing people to pay for this music and really cracking down on piracy of it will only inflame this issue. If producers and good enough to be getting gigs, they should be getting paid, and they are.

Just to throw this out there, I got a response from the owner and designer of Dub-Level a few hours ago. Apparently its a publicity thing between the artists and him. If what he is saying is completely true.

Me-
    "Hey I am a DJ in the central FL area. First let me start by saying I love Dub-Level. I have archives of your music back to November 2010. I am just sort of concerned with the legalities of your site. How is it you can provide free music (with copyright laws cracking down on DJs and all) I would really like to know if your site is legit & legal or not? Thank you"

Owner-
    "Well a lot of our tracks come from the artists them selves. We are getting more and more connections with artists the more we grow. Second the big artists such as skrillex, deadmau5 and others love having any promotion they can get. They honestly couldn't care less. Though if an artists wants a tune taken down, we will do it as quickly as possible since we respect what they want. Though ever since the beginning we have never had any artists wanting to take anything down. -Daniel"

Thoughts on this?
    DJ RERX (Dee-Jay-Ree-Wrecks)
    15" MacBook Pro/iPhone 4S/TouchOSC/Traktor Pro 2/Kontrol S4/Akai MPK Mini
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/d-burns420
    Beatport DJ: http://dj.beatport.com/rerx

wow he actually talked to you, thats a trip... but he's saying things that sound legit haha, but like what big time artist is gonna scour the internet looking for every blog/site giving away his music and tell them to stop it. as mentioned before they are "big time" they got bigger fish to fry than some "small time" blog/site

Quote Originally Posted by DStridium View Post
    Thoughts on this?
    Srsly, what did you think the answer would be? Should he say "yeah dude, it's all illegal"?

Btw, another big advantage of actually buying your mp3s (or whatever file format you choose) ist the fact that you don't clutter your harddrive with mediocre tracks (or at least not nearly as much, sure a couple still slip through the net, but it's more rare), so your music collection is more managable and ultimately better.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    Srsly, what did you think the answer would be? Should he say "yeah dude, it's all illegal"?

Btw, another big advantage of actually buying your mp3s (or whatever file format you choose) ist the fact that you don't clutter your harddrive with mediocre tracks (or at least not nearly as much, sure a couple still slip through the net, but it's more rare), so your music collection is more managable and ultimately better.
    And quality. Don't forget that a lot of blog tracks are 192 or under.
    brainfried - http://soundcloud.com/brainfried - http://www.facebook.com/DJbrainfried
    Kontrol S4 - Audio 2 - MidiFighter Classic - Akai MPD26 - Torq Xponent (retired)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast