Serato Video for EDM use
    Tech Mentor

Default Serato Video for EDM use

Anyone got any tips for using this for EDM stuff? I'm trying out some of the beeple stuff, but the kind of EDM I play isn't really suited to his clips.

Wondering if I should look elsewhere like getting VJ software to generate visuals in time with my music instead of using Serato Video.

Tech Wizard

I don't know very much about video-SL because I'm traktor user but I've always thought of "Electric Sheep" being some awesome visuals for some EDM. I think you can find it on electricsheep.com. I have no clue how you would extract the visuals becuase its technically a screensaver.

Oh and DJTT just had a good article on VJing software. Its in the blog!!! It compares Serato's Video-SL and MixEmergency.
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/03/2...sed-square-of/
    13" Macbook_Kontrol S2_MF Classic_Ableton Live8_Akai Synthstation 25_Akai APC40

Tech Mentor

After spending all of last night researching VJing and stuff I've come to realise that there are 3 paths usually taken.

I want to add that djtechtools article on VJ software options was kind of handy, but digitaldjtips weekly series on VJing was definitely helpful as well.

1) Add G-Force visualisations to your music by routing say the booth out of your mixer/controller to the line in of your laptop.

2) Play commercial music videos or make your own music videos, the key here is that the video has been pre-prepared to go with the video. Tools like serato video appear to be predominantly geared towards this.

3) Play video which originally had nothing to do with the music. You pick the visuals either before hand or on the fly to support your music. Or maybe it is the other way around where you pick the music to go with the visuals.

I've come to the realisation that i mostly want to do the third option because of the type of music I play and whilst you can load clips with no audio into SV, you can't have layers like you can with other programs.

With no midi clock in ITCH it is fast becoming obvious that ITCH is not suitable at all for this sort of work and that traktor with resolume is definitely a much better option.

I think I will need to look into a custom twitch mapping to control both traktor and resolume at the same time. I think the performance pads will be awesome for clip launching.

Another option would be using Ableton and something like Cell DNA with a Livid Ohm style controller. It's an option I explored for awhile, and I think it goes really really well for clip launching. It just depends on how you go about it really.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Wizard

Look for VJ pools to get actual music videos - other than that there are really some solid
    Berle loops to use. I'm constantly looking for more VJ clips but it is tough bro I feel you.