Ableton Live 8 and Ableton Live 8 Suite question. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    I'm with Padi on this one.

find a Logic trial (I am not sure if those exists - and am too lazy too search right now)
    Logic's trial/LE would be Garageband

Tech Wizard

[QUOTE=Coldfuzion;461507\ Hell not just Logic, i'd try Cubase / FL Studio as well. There is no one DAW better then the others, [/QUOTE]

i didnt see reason or pro tools up there ^_^ but ya no single daw is "better" than any other they just have different work flows. i enjoy ableton but try all you can and make sure to read up on the internet before you invest. no point in dropping a ton of money on something you hate
    Numark Mixtrack Pro - Novation Launchpad - VDJ 7 PRO (dont hate I like VDJ) - Ableton suite 8.x.x - Thinkpad 13' Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWoods View Post
    It shouldnt matter how you make people dance, just as long as you do.
    ...that last bit is completely sig-able if anyone chooses to.

Banned

Alright I've been playing with trial version of ableton, making a track sure does take some time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ExTrCt. View Post
    Alright I've been playing with trial version of ableton, making a track sure does take some time lol.
    I'm learning Ableton right now, I've been working on a track for a few weeks now.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

Banned

Nice at least you can save your work, i can't with trial version, and i can't record.
    So it sucks lol.

Post your track when your done id like to listen.

It'll probably take me a year or so to finish...
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    Hell not just [ableton and] Logic, i'd try Cubase / FL Studio as well. There is no one DAW better then the others, there are just people who work faster with different DAWs due to their comfort with the programs.
    Agreed. Here's a list of stuff that I know has a demo available…or is just free:

• Ableton Live
    • Reason (can't open any files: projects, synth presets, templates, grooves, samples, etc.…so it's a bit annoying)
    • Pro Tools (Requires a $50 iLok 2 (basically a USB dongle) for authorization, even for the demo…but it's unlimited)
    • Cubase (the smaller versions are free…the big version requires a USB-eLicenser…basically a USB dongle like an iLok except I think Steinberg makes them)
    • Nuendo (Made by Steinberg, like Cubase…though it's a lot "bigger"…people who use it tend to really love it, though a lot of them are doing post work or sound for film)
    • Studio One (allegedly also made by Steinberg and re-branded by Presonus…they do have the big version for demo…I've been hearing great things about it…and it does not require a dongle…I need to get around to playing with the demo before I buy PT 10)
    • Samplitude (Windows only; never tried it)
    • Sequoia (Windows only; never tried it)
    • Sonar (Windows Only; never tried it)
    • FL Studio (Windows Only; hated it)
    • Renoise (I kinda liked it…but it was weird)
    • Reaper (I think it's confusing)
    • Ardour (I think it sucks…but I last tried it a while ago…need to look again…love the Open Source thing)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. They're all worth trying (well…the ones available on your platform). Logic does not have a demo available unless it's new. And while I own it, I'm not a huge fan. Every time I learn something new about it, I like it a little less. You might be completely different, and it's not like I can't use it…just a few things take me longer than I think they should.

I was really impressed with most of Reason when I managed to borrow a friend's Ignition Key (another USB dongle) for a weekend……the only thing I don't like about it is its sequencer……which is half the point.

And I really need to get around to actually using the Studio One demo for a while before I break down and buy Pro Tools 10…mostly because PT is still expensive. I just like it better for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by DJelixeR View Post
    i didnt see reason or pro tools up there ^_^
    For some reason, people in the dance world always forget about them. They're bigger in hip hop, and PT is bigger in, well, everything except dance music.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanWard View Post
    It'll probably take me a year or so to finish...
    That's the spirit!

No, seriously…my first bootleg took 24 years to finish. I'm really not kidding that your whole life leads up to whatever creative endeavor you're currently working on. But…that's probably well beyond the scope of this thread and might be nothing more than the sleep-deprived ramblings of a wannabe musician trapped in the body of a really unhappy coder.
    Last edited by mostapha; 04-18-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    No, seriously…my first bootleg took 24 years to finish. I'm really not kidding that your whole life leads up to whatever creative endeavor you're currently working on. But…that's probably well beyond the scope of this thread and might be nothing more than the sleep-deprived ramblings of a wannabe musician trapped in the body of a really unhappy coder.
    I've been noodling since I borrowed a friends "borrowed" VCS3 back in the 70's - BTW, that's the synth Pink Floyd used to great effect on Dark Side of the Moon. I'm still yet to finish my first track worthy of release. But one day soon!
    17" MBP:2.66Ghz i7 8Gb| Traktor Pro 2|Live 8 Suite
    Novation Twitch & LaunchPad|M-Audio Oxygen 25
    Presonus FireStudio Mobile|Shure 315's|Yamaha HS50M's
    "“beatmatching” isnt even a fucking skill as far as im concered anyway. so what, you can count to 4. cool. i had that skill down when i was 3."-deadmau5

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    might be nothing more than the sleep-deprived ramblings of a wannabe musician trapped in the body of a really unhappy coder.
    sounds like the story of my life was really into production when i was younger and then just never found the time outside of career/coding. didn't realise u were a fellow coder geek. personally i love coding tho - but have left the whole career thing behind to just work freelance and hopefully find time in the near future to concentrate much more on music and dj'ing.

i've not used sonar but used to use cakewalk with my synths. i can't decide what DAW to fork out for either. i bought my live5 cheap 2nd hand to try it out but not convinced it's for me for producing. reason looks very interesting. also be interesting to see what bitwig will be like.

odd... just checked my user area on ableton.com and the upgrade to live8 is only 149eur and 319eur to live8suite. anyone know if this is some kind of offer or the regular upgrade prices? it mentions coming with some free soundcloud membership - but not sure if if the price is cheaper too.

so to the OP... buying a 2nd hand copy of live and upgrading may well save u some cash. licenses can be transferred so no issues there. i traded some scripts i had coded for my copy of live5 but u might find a cheap copy on ebay or something. that upgrade price is valid for any version of live from 1 to 6. much cheaper from 7 i guess.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12