How to get Gigs at Clubs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default How to get Gigs at Clubs?

Hey,
    So I was wondering how do you get gigs at clubs specifically Under-ages, do I talk to the promoters or what do I do? I think I am good enough to start playing gigs, If you want check out my you tube page:http://www.youtube.com/user/ThisIsRemixXD
    Numark mixtrack - Numark DJ IO Sound card - Akai lpd8 - Traktor pro 2 - Senheiser HD205

1. Be 18
    2. Know people
    3. Be decent!

You ask about underage clubs in Adelaide - do any exist? I live in Perth (similair size) and as far as I know, there is no underage clubs. If you not 18, there really not much you can do untill then - virtually every club won't want to hear about you untill you're 18.

If you're 18, then you have to know people. This is the hard part. I broke into my local scene through knowing other DJs and promoters through uni - after about a year of hanging out (not soliciting gigs, just hanging out) I was offered an opening set at the Thursday night student night. From there, I just met more people on the scene, and things went from there.

Finally, what I was from you short video has ok - but if I was a promoter, I wouldn't give you a set based on just that video. Try and record at least an hour long set in the genre you want to play in - and think about having an acessible set - as much as you may like hardstyle, or banging electro house (I do ) not everyone will want to hear it. Hate to say it, but Top 40 is king in Oz.

Good luck mate!
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

yep,

know people, know people, know people!

:-)

k

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmcdonough View Post
    yep,

know people, know people, know people!
    This!
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Tech Mentor

in Adelaide there is alot of underage clubs, i just dont know who to speak to?
    Numark mixtrack - Numark DJ IO Sound card - Akai lpd8 - Traktor pro 2 - Senheiser HD205

Tech Mentor

every one is saying I have to know people, but who should I know, the promoters??

Technically you don't need to be over 18 - many DJs, myself included, played in clubs way before they hit 18 - as long as you come with someone who is over 18 and you behave yourself it won't cause any issues. This is something to address when you actually have sets.

Unfortunately the DJ scene is about who you know, much less focus on what you know - it's just the way it is. You need to be getting your mixes out there, to clubbers, to promoters - to anyone who will take one - start to build some hype on your name.

Think of yourself as a product - why should someone book you? most event owners want you to bring people into their club so they spend money, and that happens from people being aware of who you are and what you do.

Set up a Soundcloud page - upload your mixes, tell everyone and their dog about them - share the links on forums and in emails to event promoters. It's a long, hard journey but it's worth it if you love music!
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Jack Bastard

(1) Find a club that plays what you play, keep going there and become a regular face.

(2) Be a friendly and decent person.

(3) If you think you have something to offer that they don't have atm get some mixes up. If you don't, don't bother, the world is full of identikit djs and you have to ask why they would bother booking someone pretty much the same as the other people they have there.

I've seriously never asked for a gig in my whole djing career and just got all my gigs by following those rough steps above.

I'd make a demo CD to hand out with 3 x 25 minute mixes on it. If getting gigs is your goal then make them
    different genres. And accessible - I'm not sure the above will get you regular under 18 gigs. Then approach promoters, managers, bar staff, anyone and give them the CD. Be prepared to drop other plans at the drop of a hat if you get asked.

If anyone asks if you can mix on CDJs say 'yes'. Learn to mix on CDJs.

Lastly, everyone is doing what you're doing, so make sure you're better than them. This means having a better mix CD, and generally looking like you're honest, confident, competent and resilient.
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 04-12-2012 at 07:13 AM.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Jack Bastard

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Learn to mix on CDJs.
    Yeah, that too. There are plenty of people (myself included) who won't take you seriously if you can't beatmatch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast