First Thread: Starting a Local Scene
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default First Thread: Starting a Local Scene

Hey DJTT Community. First off I wanted to say thank you all for the great tips, tricks and conversations on this forum. I've been reading it for a solid year now and finally had a question of my own that I don't think has been answered (I hope).

I live in the states and most specifically Maine which is practically Southern Canada. The club scene here focuses mostly in one or two main cities and primarily plays Top 40 although some Dubstep acts have been showing up in frequency around me (Skrillex, Knife Party) and we've also had a few Electro artists like Dada Life come to town which has made a solid secondary scene aside from just Rihanna and Guetta.

My personal style, love, desire to play, whatever you want to call it, has been focused around Disco House and House. I love Dubstep and Electro House but for me I just love the feel of certain House tracks, reminds me of clips from a Studio 54 documentary.

My questions are, have any of you had any experience starting a DJ night or breaking into the club scene in your area playing a style of music that wasn't the norm? For example, if Dubstep was the style that everyone came out to hear and dance to, were you able to successfully start a Tech/Deep House night? If so, how did you manage to do it? Were you successful and why did you feel it did or didn't pan out?

Again, much love to all you on this forum. Cheers!

Polski

Tech Guru

Personally where Im from the tech-house, deep-house, techno scene is pretty strong but I still play at a Top 40ish night but I play my music and throw a little song or two people know. Now ive gotten cool with the manager and Im doing my own night...just my music no commercial BS

I would say use that strategy get a gig at a top 40 place considering top 40 is mostly dance related nowadays and easier to mix with tech than dubstep is but you should deff check out all spots around you within a 30 minute driving range and just check everything out..what style they're playing, how packed it is, and start showing your face alot and network. But also see what places look good to play at. Talk to everyone introduce yourself but dont be annoying. If you liked the DJs set let him know and have a nice conversation doesnt all have to be about business.
    Last edited by Santos10; 04-15-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

If you don't want to sneak in a 'scene' through the top40 back door then I'd suggest trying to hook up with DJs who like the same kind of music as you. So yeah, talk to a lot of DJs. They might be playing something completely different but love nu-disco/disco/house whatever. If you can get 3-4 DJs including yourself with a bit of a following all saying 'I'm in' then you can likely pull some strings and get a night at a small venue. Hey presto - instant scene.
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 04-12-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

lethal is absolutely right. heres my two cents:

I have yet to meet someone who doesn't like disco house, its just super soulful and danceable if your playing in any commercial club you should be able to play a fair amount of it. if your playing at spots that focus on electro or dubstep though then it might be a little harder (just because it doesn't contain heavy basslines). I'd say for now just try sneaking it into your sets and seeing how people react to it
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Tech Convert

Great replies guys. I like both ideas of throwing some into a Top 40s gig which may end up providing exposure because that may be an easier way into a club. I also like the idea of throwing a party with other like minded DJs. Would anyone recommend having different genres? I ask because there's a local promoter in my area, but the roster of DJs are mainly Dubstep and Electro House.

Would it be wise to approach this promoter asking if they're interested in adding a new style to their roster or teaming up with acts of different styles? I would assume that as a promoter you'd want to have your fingers in different pies, by having acts that reach different audiences.

From a purely aesthetic viewpoint I wouldn't put disco/nu-disco next to anything remotely aggressive. House is fine but but the vibe is totally different to dubstep, for example. Consequently your night would seem unfocussed, disparate and random, which is fine if that's how you want to present it.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Guru

lethal puts out a good point two Ive used that method too depends on what club and how cool you are with the locals DJs
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Tech Mentor

Lethal has the right idea for sure, finding more like minded people is going to help you greatly. I'm in the same process of "building a scene" and so far people are my strongest resources, even people who aren't into edm. I have a friend who isn't into dance music, and runs a venue that would never play any dance music, but he likes what I'm doing. If I ever need powered 18s to borrow, he's got my back. The bass player from my dads classic rock band hates techno, but if I ask nicely he would rent me his party lights for cheap. Connections are valuable, don't have tunnel vision about making them either.

I host a night in Bath (uk) we play house and trance. In this part of the uk it is very dominated by hardcore and DnB. Me and my mates were moaning about the lack of music we like being played so we decided to set up our own night and we are still going a year and a half later!!!!! Try something new and see what happens. Whats the worse that can happen? Just make sure you plenty of advertising for the night and spam the s**t out of social networks.

Tech Convert

All great suggestion. Culture, you've got a great point about not being tunnel visioned with getting connections. Something I hadn't really thought of before. Al, great to hear about your night mate, glad it's going well for you. Did you find any obstacles to setting up your night? What do you think made it successful going into it's second year?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast