Active studio monitors
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Active studio monitors

My old amp and speaker setup has just about had it now so I'm looking at upgrading to some active monitors. I'm looking at some KRK's but while looking around I came across the Gemini SR-8 and the iKey M-808v2...

Now am I missing something or are they the same speakers?

http://geminiproaudio.com/sr-8

http://www.ikey-audio.com/m-808v2#

Does anyone have any experience with the two speakers?

go with the krks
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

Tech Mentor

i like my pioneer sjds

That's nice guys but it doesn't answer my original question.

They look the same

Tech Guru

They are the same. Same company actually.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Tech Mentor

if you have the bucks, go for yamaha or krk and nothing else.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYBODY ON HERE

Sound is something that is extremely subjective. You are going to have to do an "A)B)C)" test and hear them all in comparison with one another in a decently acoustic friendly room.

BUT

If your purpose of buying monitors is for accurate and well proportioned audio then THE KRK ROKIT 5/6/8 G2 IS NOT FOR YOU.

The KRKs exhibit a noticably innacurate low range (bass is not true to life whatsoever), and experience a lack of clarity in the high-midrange and low-high range response (which winds up as a "muddled" sound). Also, if you are looking into the 6" or 8" models, they are actually LESS accurate, than the 5" is. I couldnt possibly recommend the rokits to you with a good concious.

I HIGHLY recommend the TANNOY REVEAL 501a!

This is an extremely accurate monitor. I guarantee that if you were to put the KRK rokits in a side-to-side with the Reveal 501a... your jaw would drop to the floor. Like I previously said, the KRKs have an extremely artificial low range which exaggerates the lows. I know many people that have done the monitor to PA system, track reference test, and I havent encountered anybody that thought the KRKs were anywhere near true to life (which is obviously pretty damn important in producing and mixing). Obviously your not going to have the booming bass with the Reveals, but studio monitors arent about the bottom end (especially with a 5" woofer lol), thats what you get a subwoofer. The Tannoy is much more of a true studio monitor, while the rokits come of as much more of a hi-fi/monitor blend.

I have owned both, albeit the rokits for less than a month, and the Tannoy Reveals are still around while the rokits have long been sold.

Also, the Reveals only retail for about $30 more per monitor than the rokits. I believe they are about $180.00 each (plus whatever discount you can find around) while the rokits are about $150.

Link to check out the Tannoys:
    http://tinyurl.com/7skzsve
    Last edited by supraman1120; 04-13-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    They look the same
    Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this.

Quote Originally Posted by djlotus View Post
    They are the same. Same company actually.
    I noticed the Youtube link on the iKey website goes straight to the Gemini one. What's the point in selling them under 2 different names?

Quote Originally Posted by supraman1120 View Post
    DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYBODY ON HERE

Sound is something that is extremely subjective. You are going to have to do an "A)B)C)" test and hear them all in comparison with one another in a decently acoustic friendly room.

BUT

If your purpose of buying monitors is for accurate and well proportioned audio then THE KRK ROKIT 5/6/8 G2 IS NOT FOR YOU.

The KRKs exhibit a noticably innacurate low range (bass is not true to life whatsoever), and experience a lack of clarity in the high-midrange and low-high range response (which winds up as a "muddled" sound). Also, if you are looking into the 6" or 8" models, they are actually LESS accurate, than the 5" is. I couldnt possibly recommend the rokits to you with a good concious.

I HIGHLY recommend the TANNOY REVEAL 501a!

This is an extremely accurate monitor. I guarantee that if you were to put the KRK rokits in a side-to-side with the Reveal 501a... your jaw would drop to the floor. Like I previously said, the KRKs have an extremely artificial low range which exaggerates the lows. I know many people that have done the monitor to PA system, track reference test, and I havent encountered anybody that thought the KRKs were anywhere near true to life (which is obviously pretty damn important in producing and mixing). Obviously your not going to have the booming bass with the Reveals, but studio monitors arent about the bottom end (especially with a 5" woofer lol), thats what you get a subwoofer. The Tannoy is much more of a true studio monitor, while the rokits come of as much more of a hi-fi/monitor blend.

I have owned both, albeit the rokits for less than a month, and the Tannoy Reveals are still around while the rokits have long been sold.

Also, the Reveals only retail for about $30 more per monitor than the rokits. I believe they are about $180.00 each (plus whatever discount you can find around) while the rokits are about $150.

Link to check out the Tannoys:
    http://tinyurl.com/7skzsve
    Cheers for the input mate. I'll have to pop down to my local DJ store and give them a demo in their speaker room.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast