my first gig on the 16 and i am freaked out help appreciated
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default my first gig on the 16 and i am freaked out help appreciated

So here it is.
    I am having my first gig next saturday, and tonite I went to the club early to set up my stuff and tested out the system.

Now my question is at home I am using a B and W system to mix and the transition between songs or eq mixing feel pretty accurate I mean smooth to the point I dont know which song is playing on which deck.

So after setting up the stuff for the club tested out and first thing that I could hear was obviously the sound was much heavier and louder which was nice and big change from my mixing room.

Now my main concern is how to smooth mix on that club system the way I do at home or is it just not possible due to the loudness of the club?

I mean with minimal its not so much a challenge to smooth transition out and take eq sounds in and out but when it comes to lets say deep house or simple house tunes with high hi hat and strong vocal I find it way harder to do it in club environment than home.

Cause this freaks me out now as I have to re think my whole approach for that club venue.

Hope can get some feedback from you experiences users.

My set up consist of xone 4d and my laptop running traktor pro. All my tracks Platinum noted and key analysed too.

and thx all you guys on DJTT i just love spending my time reading threads posted
    Last edited by jd62; 05-08-2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: missing datas

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Just mix, man. A good idea is to record a mix at home, maybe just 20 minutes, and bring it to the club and listen to it. See how everything sounds on their system and it'll give you an idea of what you need to play with on your end.

Really, just tweak your EQs and fades so that it sounds good. Oh, and have a drink before you go on (or two, but not more) to loosen the nerves.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Make sure they've got a good monitor setup. I've played in some dodgy bars with crap PAs and I normally mix in my headphones, but occasionally I've wanted to tweak a mix or played with another DJ and it's been difficult without proper monitors to cancel any sort of echo/delay.

Tech Wizard

thx a lot guys i really appreciate your inputs, i am gonna implement what u mentioned and try my best and practice till the gig night and make sure i got those two drinks before hand ;-)

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Just take it easy. They are letting you spin cause you (theoretically) don't suck. So deep breath and just do what you do
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

its just that sound difference that freaked me out between a home set up and a full time night club system. I didnt think it would be that well i dont know mind blowing for me.
    but i guess after a while its fine. So i think lool ;-)

Banned

Just keep the mixes simple at first, don't try to get too fancy until you feel comfortable with the system and know how the EQ's sound on it.

Cheers man and good luck!

Tech Mentor

Another important thing is to have fun. The crowd will pick up on your vibe and follow in your example. If youre having fun they will too. Dont look like your freaking out. I made that mistake my first time, I freaked out cuz my cd was skipping and it was doing it on beat, no one noticed till they saw me freaking out. Have fun, the rest will come naturally.
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

Tech Wizard

Just have fun! See if they have a monitor system, if not, the only diff. will be the loudness of the club system which may affect your ability to hear your mixes in the headphones....get used to it before you play, just in case that there are no booth monitors.

relax, sip a drink beforehand if it's allowed and if you drink (but I'd check with the staff to see if it's allowed beforehand. don't want that to be your first impression.)

you got the gig, so that's the important thing! enjoy it.

when i started mixing, i played on some random hifi sorround-system at home. i was basicly able to run two basslines at once of about any 2 beatmached songs and it sounded nice. you can image how i felt as i was mixing on a PA-system for the first time. i learnt that night how to use a bass-eq the right way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast