Diva DJ's
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diva DJ's

Default Diva DJ's

I was just reading an article called 'the diva paradox' and was wondering if anyone here has come across and Diva DJ's?

I have noticed in some DJ's who become big names in a particular scene that they sometimes don't have time for other upcoming DJ's or fans, save the busty blondes who are going to give them special services after the gig. There was also the case where a DJ who went on before Funkagenda shut F's laptop down whilst his last tune was on because he wanted everyone to see him before Funkagenda went on. To me there is no need for this and in fact as part of my radio show I am running a night bringing up coming DJs into our scene giving them extra experience and a chance to play in front of a crowd they wouldn't normally get to play to.

If you think that you have 'made it' and have a fan base who will come and see you even if you don't interact or bother to even acknowledge the crowd. Do you think it is still important to make sure they feel special? Personally I always thank people via facebook, twitter or in person at gigs, people who come up and say hello if they have seen me play I always make an effort to remember their name.

Facebook - DJChrisDaFunk
    Radio show - The OneTwoSeven Show on eatmusic.co.uk Thursday 8-10pm GMT
    Soundcloud - DJChrisDaFunk

Tech Guru

It's all about the people in this game, i've known some diva-esque dj's, and they don't get booked very far outside their circle of fanboys/people who they kiss up to, if you are a prick to someone news travells fast.

what about booth etiquette? is that a thing of the past?

not only does the diva attitude hinder your ability to get booked, it also hinders your development as a dj. Some of the worst djs I know think that they're tiesto. Since they think they're so good they don't bother to try to improve themselves. You have be humble and realize that there's a lot for you to learn to be able to get the initiative to learn new and better techniques.
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

From what I know, Afrojack had a diva attitude even before he was famous. But then I had respect for him. He started with techno, really good sick techno, but then came his dirty period. But he's famous now and gets money!
    MacBook Pro 13 (Q1 2011) | Adam A5X | Akai APC20 | Alesis QX49 | Behringer BCR2000 | NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by JDFS View Post
    From what I know, Afrojack had a diva attitude even before he was famous. But then I had respect for him. He started with techno, really good sick techno, but then came his dirty period. But he's famous now and gets money!
    I suppose your level of fame makes a difference too. If your someone famous like afrojack, then you can do whatever you want and still get booked (unless your pissing on curtains like fergie). but at the local level your attitude defo makes a difference to how much you get booked

We booked a DJ for a new years eve gig, He said all the right things etc etc we heard a mix (pretty average) we thought sod it give him a chance. In the week leading up to the event he started giving us demands such as travelling expenses etc etc and generally started trying to take the piss. The day of the event came and he turned up to the venue 8 hours before his set was due to start (it was a 24hour party) and he was so hammered he couldnt speak or stand, we thought sod it let him sober up and sort himself out. anyway time goes buy he starts coming 'back to life' and starts drinking again! By this point we were getting pretty p****d off with him. 30 mins before his set is due to start hes caught by security doing a huge line of cocaine in the toilets so had to be evicted from the venue. police were called and he was charged with possesion with intent to supply. But what sticks with me the most is his words as the police took him away DONT YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!!? YOU CANT TREAT ME LIKE THIS ETC ETC. Turns out he was a nobody and nobody has booked him since. Basically dont act the big I AM us promoters talk to each other save the attitude for elsewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by IznremiX View Post
    Some of the worst djs I know think that they're tiesto.
    And that's a good thing?

Sasha is famous for being a grumpy twat!

Quote Originally Posted by DjZzeless View Post
    And that's a good thing?
    I never said that was a good thing what I was trying to say was that the worst djs I know have the biggest egos. These egos limit their development as djs because they think that they don't need to practice and learn new techniques.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast