Dearest mods, these spambots are getting out of hand!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dearest mods, these spambots are getting out of hand!

Is there anything that can be done to improve security or make it harder to spam? Every single day I go into my subscribed threads and there's a raft of 7 or 8 topics that have those copied posts with a load of random links from the same user.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

i don't think it would be too hard to add some code to vbulletin to help catch these - they mostly seem to fall into a pattern of posting a bit of text (scraped from the same thread often, but not always) and then 3 images that aren't actually images.

easiest way would be to automatically delete posts that contain images that don't respond with a 404 (i.e: the user just got the url wrong initially) but with a valid status code (200, 301, 302 etc) but the content-type of the actual url isn't an image. would mean fetching the urls, or at least requesting the 'head' but can't see how it would be too hard to implement.

i'd be willing to help/do it if wanted.

edit: these are all probably from some new rules added to xrumer/scrapebox. a quick dig on a site like blackhatworld dot com may well shine some more light on the situation...
    Last edited by zestoi; 04-13-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

ironically, the post above me was a spammer.
    we do our best guys, just keep reporting the spammers when you notice them and we will deal with them asap.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

i'll keep clicking the "report spam" button when i see them then
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

captcha in the sign up form?
    Bit annoying but should do the job
    Spam bots everywhere!!
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

Soundcloud.
    Gone Vci 100 se arcade edition . Audio 2DJ . Launchpad . RMX . lpd8 .

not going to stop most bots - there's plenty of "captcha solver" services out there. the bot saves the captcha image, submits it to the service via their api, an actual person enters the string that gets sent back via the api, then the bot enters the string... works with simple captchas anyway. a captcha that makes u click on the result or something would help...

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    not going to stop most bots - there's plenty of "captcha solver" services out there. the bot saves the captcha image, submits it to the service via their api, an actual person enters the string that gets sent back via the api, then the bot enters the string... works with simple captchas anyway. a captcha that makes u click on the result or something would help...
    Mm, I guess you are right!!
    A good captcha should help anyway, and, the ultimate solution ( ahah quite invasive ) could be to log off ALL the accounts, and force the user to make a login with captcha (only one time, a check over existing user).
    Next times you login will be without captcha.
    This, and signup captcha, should eliminate them all.
    I know, this is not the nicer way
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

Soundcloud.
    Gone Vci 100 se arcade edition . Audio 2DJ . Launchpad . RMX . lpd8 .

Just to clarify, I'm not bashing the mods here, just wondering if there was any way to avoid the spam somehow. Some kind of captcha or similar for a user's first 5 posts?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

What about putting a question on the signup page, or rotating questions? Something simple like "name 3 DJ gear companies" or "who makes the S4". I don't know how bots operate, so it may or may not work.

Or we could be the most elite DJ forum and go invitation only. Haha JK.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

just put a captcha at signup... I'm really surprised there isn't one.

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    and how would anyone know before it was implemented and if these bots use captcha solvers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast