Controllerism - Where can I learn how to?
    Tech Convert

Default Controllerism - Where can I learn how to?

ive done some research here, youtube, and on google. but i cant find much on the topic. i mostly just find routines. or the explanations/tutorials i do find are far too advanced for a true noob like myself. for all i know about controllerism is its just button mashing that somehow turns out to sound pretty cool lol.

got any tips, links, sites, or explanations for the noobs?

Banned

lol hey noob, welcome to my world.

we shall be nooblets together.

just keep pushing buttons until you figure it out.

Your right, theres not really any tutorials on it. I think part of the reason is that everyone who is into controllerism does it differently. There doesn't really seem to be any standardized techniques (not yet anyways). I think we'll be seeing a change in this over the next few years though as more people get into it.

edit: actually, ean golden has a few deece tuts

Last edited by IznremiX; 04-13-2012 at 09:49 PM.
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

well number 1 about controllerism is that everyone has their own flavour of it. in essence it was born from the turntablists, who made sounds and loops by only using turntables, and tried to not only show their skills but completely make something that was different from anything else.

A solid start would be looking at the basics of mixing, as even though you can do a 5 minute routine, we're all DJs here and so mixing is an essential skill to know! Have you any equipment yet, or are you still reading around before jumping in? I know how daunting it can be looking on, and not really having any clue of whats going on because so much stuff seems way over your head. I started out using a Novation Nocturn mapped within an inch of its life, but if you're starting controllerism you may be better dropping some cash on an S2 or Mixtrack Pro. you can always add a midifighter or something afterwards, when you feel like you're ready to move on!

Traktor is the software of choice for most of the users on this forum, as it really is a versatile software, however there are lots of other options, the other main controllerists option being Ableton. Ableton can be a very daunting prospect, and as a production tool as well it can terrify some people who start out, though for controllerism the pairing of an APC40 or a Launchpad and Ableton can be perfect! Both of those controllers are shipped with special versions of Ableton because they are made for using it as a live performance tool, and if you are looking to do more of a live show with clips and loops they could be for you!

Controllerism is what you make of it, and can be a simple or as complex as you want it to be! My advice to you is to get a solid foundation of A-B mixing, learning to use effects usefully, and then move on to do what you want to do! Also, dont stop reading these forums, they are really really invaluable. the search function will help immensely for this as there are so many threads of in depth discussion on nearly every topic you can imagine, and if theres no thread on it you can always start one!

Tech Convert

i just got my s4 a couple weeks ago so still learning the controller and traktor software. started off on vdj and a mixtrack but after i realized it was limiting my progress i made the jump. trakor ftw.

as far as my mixing goes i can mix house, progressive, electro, and trance pretty well. long as its within the 126-135 bpm range. but thats just your basic mixing techniques, still learning the more advanced transitions and effects/loops transitions.

ahh well then i can tell you that when traktor 2.5 comes out a lot of controllerists will be wetting themselves with excitements. the ability to have the access to that much samples at will will be excellent for controllerism, and i can see it really growing as a result, and that may be useful to your style? or not perhaps!

i dont class myself as a controllerist, i'm very much a traditional DJ so i cant really help you with any more unfortunately, i'm sure someone who uses them for routines will come along and offer some advice!

i would also recommend that you check out DJ IZN's mixes on youtube, his routines have a traktor screen on the video also, and I learnt a fair few new tricks watching those videos haha

Quote Originally Posted by bigchipshi View Post
    for all i know about controllerism is its just button mashing that somehow turns out to sound pretty cool lol.
    That's because most of the time it is, except it usually doesn't sound that cool.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

All I'm going to say is: Don't abuse the beatmasher!