a studio to die for

Default a studio to die for

Hi everyone,

I've been teaching up in New York for a while. Recently, I travelled a considerable distance to take a gig which seemed perfect for me, though I wouldn't know any details until I actually arrived.

I have never seen a home studio as beautiful as this. It has the most gorgeous acoustical design and accoutrements. For the first fifteen minutes or so of his lesson, he showed me each piece of his setup so far- there were racks built into a desk made for his Axiom, which was arranged perpendicular to his favorite grand piano, which was itself mic'd internally, and multiple active monitors and entire PA systems.

For myself (and many of us on this forum), this is a dream come true. I am being paid to share my workflow and technique with a student who is both quick to pick things up and an excellent musician in his own right. In addition, I have the rare opportunity to build a setup with a for someone else, and with someone else's money, that can make really beautiful music.

I have been really, truly inspired by some of you on this forum both through mixes and productions and through incredible setup posts. I would never have dreamed up this loft or thought to prefabricate (3D model) a setup without you.

I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I can't bring my own studio to this level the way my day-trader client, who is forty years my elder, can and be financially responsible. On the other hand, this studio going to be absolutely amazing. Have any of you been totally discouraged - or blown away - recently?

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    . On the other hand, this studio going to be absolutely amazing. Have any of you been totally discouraged - or blown away - recently?
    Just about every time I visit gearslutz and view the setup threads.

If you haven't yet check out this thread for some inspiration and if you are helping build a studio then you need to spend a lot of time on the studio building subforum- also check out the setup threads in the other subforums for non electronic focused studios.