Digital DJing and stepping it up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Digital DJing and stepping it up

In a way I feel like its our responsibility to step it up since we own some amazing equipment that allows us to spend less time dicking around and more time expressing musical creativity. But only in a way. Are we putting too much pressure on ourselves to be better than non digital DJ's? Sometimes I feel like I am, but Im a very ambitious person. And it doesnt help that DvlsAdvct is raising the bar in my scene.

So the question is. What techniques are you digital DJ's employing to help take advantage of our potential and help make yourself standout from the non digital crowd? What are you doing to help build energy and make dynamic sets?

I will answer my own question, since we should be sharing info, yeah?

I definately try and take advantage of Traktors ability to show the audio in a visual wavelength. It helps to know where cues are and where build ups and breaks occur. I love the various effects traktor has available. My favorite is the transposing time stretch, its great for transitioning from tracks that wouldnt sound right beatmatched and mixed traditionally. I also love the LFO3 effect for the same reason.

Your turn!
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

Hey Animus, nice post dude. I don't use sync anymore so i don't have as mush time in between tracks, but personally i like to show off some of traktors features, such as multiple effects, filters etc. My fav at the moment is using the gater in conjunction with delay. start it off at 0 and bring the level up during a vocal or instrumental breakdown or something. I've got my wheels set up now to scratch/search, tempo bend, filters and dry/wet levels on the FX section, so those wheels get a thrashing when we play haha. Don't go too nuts on the FX tho, time and a place.
    I don't think its necessarily a matter of "standing out from the crowd" tho, as although all of us have experienced a bit of deck envy from the vinyl crew at some stage, for the most part ppl are up for it and are actually more interested in what we are doing (c'mon, i know i'd rather watch someone with 10k of kit sitting on a desk than someone with some second hand decks). I still get the odd "your not a DJ" crap occasionally but ya get used to it. cheers
    Last edited by Jester; 05-09-2009 at 09:03 PM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

the techniques question has been asked many times, and i havent seen a whole lot of response. i dont really know how to answer it myself tbh. but id suggest it may be very genre dependant
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Double drops, bassline switches, more aggressive cuts and teases, more focus on EQ work, and Glitch/Beatmasher.

Ohh yeah i love those double drops!
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

double drops meaning starting 2 records at once? i've been experimenting with it lately alot and so far loving it.

double drops meaning getting two records to drop at the same time. Different for each track but i found you can usually do it by starting after the first phrase. At which point, you can do all your EQ and Bassline switches. Double drops are just the beginning. Been experimenting with triple and quad drops with some success. Getting things in key is what really seals the deal.

Tech Mentor

ooh thats cool, how do you do a double drop if youre already playing a track? spin on 3 decks and double drop using the available decks?
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

generally each dnb tune has 2 drops so you can use the first drop of one track over the second drop of the other track, saves from using 3 decks
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

also there are some tracks that have a shortened intro phrase so you can start deck B on the down of the 2nd phrase leading into the build. You can also start where ever you want. Careful not to bottom out tho! The two worst sounding things in a dnb set are out of key double drops and clanging/bottoming out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast