track selection & programming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default track selection & programming

CRAP! After a month away from Traktor and my tunes, I seem to have lost whatever ability I had to pick what track to play next!! Is there any advice? Listen to all the tunes I have 100 times? Keep practicing? Both?

maybe next time you might want to add a comment in the comment line as wht song mixes well wittht he current song playing?

DELL XPS M1710 : MOTU Ultralite : VCI-100
    dirty electro funky hip house:eek:

It just comes with time after a while it's like riding a bike

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

And another idea is to just try it out and see. I've found some great mixes just by throwing songs together until I get something. When you aren't worried about a dance floor it gets a lot easier to experiment
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by wgdavis78 View Post
    maybe next time you might want to add a comment in the comment line as wht song mixes well wittht he current song playing?

ya, i hijacked ean's method of writing the names of each song in each comment when they do mix well; as well as writing a brief description for every track when i beatgrid/cue.

if u arent already, harmonic mixing is always a good place to start

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by aiden View Post
    ya, i hijacked ean's method of writing the names of each song in each comment when they do mix well; as well as writing a brief description for every track when i beatgrid/cue.

if u arent already, harmonic mixing is always a good place to start

I've got all my tunes keyed, but I think that's boring and unoriginal, to just go through the playlist and pick in-key tunes - I want the mix to flow, tracks to create a mood... I've been using keywords to write down in the comment section to describe tracks, also doing the "mixes into BLAH" trick... but it doesn't help when you're playing a great tune and you're thinking, "Damn, I need to mix this into another great tune with the same feel!"

I guess I just want to hear it in my head - is that a talent or does it come with practice?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

It's a lot of things. It's talent, but it also comes down to practice and really knowing your songs and how they are structured. All the talent in the world won't make up for that.

:-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

you need to know your songs. i listen to my stuff at work pretty much the entire day. i VERY RARELY use eans method of saying what goes well with what. djing is all about new things. there is a certain element of having things planned out, but it should never come before reading the crowd.
    for instance, when i walk into a gig i have like the first 3 tracks planned out. just so i dont have to worry about it while feeling out the crowd. but i try to have a pretty good idea of what is going to work for the crowd before i even get behind the decks.

As stated by the two above me, "knowing your songs".

It is even more important what songs you use, than how well your mixing skills are.
    There are some DJs around, Steve Rachmad is one, who really do not mix that well, but just crumple and energize complete crowds by using the perfect set buildup with their song selection!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by djalexlaine View Post
    you need to know your songs. i listen to my stuff at work pretty much the entire day. i VERY RARELY use eans method of saying what goes well with what. djing is all about new things. there is a certain element of having things planned out, but it should never come before reading the crowd.
    for instance, when i walk into a gig i have like the first 3 tracks planned out. just so i dont have to worry about it while feeling out the crowd. but i try to have a pretty good idea of what is going to work for the crowd before i even get behind the decks.
    Eans method is friggen great if you have got lost in your own little world morphing the sound and need to slam something onto the deck quickly that you know will go well Really should not have to get to this point though haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast