Digital DJ-ing Hate
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Digital DJ-ing Hate

I know this thread has probably been posted a million times but...I haven't had Digital DJ hate till just recently, which really pissed me off! I've been DJ ing for quite a while, started off on CD-J's then went Digital because of budget constraints and I've been happy ever since. So the other night I played at a Rave where it seemed like every other DJ that night was out to get me. NO RESPECT. Saying I'm not a "real DJ', just because of my equipment??? I know haters are gonna hate but I really felt the hate that night. I played for a good hour & thirty minutes and I played one amazing set LIVE, not Pre-Recorded like the other guys did. Have you guys ever had to deal with this? and if so? how do you deal with it because I was on the brink...

P.S.
    ...and I know, why should I care if I played a great set, but a man can only handle so much...

Sorry for the Grammar errors, too mad to care.
    & for the people wondering my set-up. ( Kontrol s4 w/ Midi Fighter Pro )
    CHECK OUT MY SOUNDCLOUD BRUH!!!: http://soundcloud.com/fabiioofficial
    Be sure to take a listen to my newest tracks
    15' Macbook Pro l Traktor Scratch Pro 2 Kontrol Z2 l Kontrol D2's l Pioneer PLX 1000's l

Tech Wizard

the other DJ's played pre recorded sets? i wouldve punched em in the dome for trying to say digital DJing is less real then what they were doing. pre recorded sets are for david guetta and SHM, not DJ's
    Numark Mixtrack Pro - Novation Launchpad - VDJ 7 PRO (dont hate I like VDJ) - Ableton suite 8.x.x - Thinkpad 13' Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWoods View Post
    It shouldnt matter how you make people dance, just as long as you do.
    ...that last bit is completely sig-able if anyone chooses to.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJelixeR View Post
    the other DJ's played pre recorded sets? i wouldve punched em in the dome for trying to say digital DJing is less real then what they were doing. pre recorded sets are for david guetta and SHM, not DJ's
    This.

Side note: SHM does not do pre-recorded sets as far as I've seen. Sure some can be planned as to what they are going to play, but they actually do do their mixing on the spot (of course, I am not including Angellos little fiasco video, just SHM in general).
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

when talking about pre=recorded sets, are you talking about entire sets like completely pre-mixed and ready to just hit play and dance around to and pretend to be doing something to? cuz what me and my friend do is have sets of 10 songs which we know back and front and mix together and fuck around with the midi fighter to each song then switch to next set of ten to play. i think roger sanchez does the same?

Tech Wizard

Nah, Like the whole set for most DJ's that night was Pre-recored..THE WHOLE SET
    15' Macbook Pro l Traktor Scratch Pro 2 Kontrol Z2 l Kontrol D2's l Pioneer PLX 1000's l

I can tell you for a fact SHM do not mix live and have not mixed live in a long time.

to op: fuck what they say if you played a good set and had people dancing it dont matter what gear you are using

let the music do the talking.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TommyQuiet View Post
    I can tell you for a fact SHM do not mix live and have not mixed live in a long time.

to op: fuck what they say if you played a good set and had people dancing it dont matter what gear you are using

let the music do the talking.

I've personally seen SWH 3x and i'm pretty sure they Pre-Recored. There is no way a MIX can sound flawlessly with Million dollar lights match up to the music.

and my set was badass, i dont mean to toot my own horn lol but yeah lol

here's a short preview

I would have lost it. I have lost it before and started a fight with some guy because he said this isn't the real shit, then sneakily turn off my pc. So fuck them, and as for the prerecorded set thing, tell them to take the other cd out there ass and mix like a man.

Tech Mentor

Yeah I've had experience with this. Most straight Vinyl guys are gonna hate on guys that use Traktor or "Laptop Dj's" as they call them. Honestly dude, screw them. Its been my experience at some underground raves or parties that i play at sometimes, that not only do Dj's judge each other, but they also hate on each other a lot.

If you played a decent set mixed everything pretty well, then there's nothing that they can say.
    15 inch macbook pro - Traktor Kontrol S2 - Stanton T-60's - Traktor Audio 10
    I'm Dj Kave Check me out : )
    Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/djkave
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/djkavex Fan Page : )

It's a mixed thing, and you're going to run into this a lot. Esp. once you start hitting bigger clubs and start trying to get gigs with some of the promotion crews who have been around for awhile.

A lot of the old school guys and promoters who've been DJing for years, or throwing parties for a long time, don't like the digital thing. They are okay at this point with time-code DVS (because you can't easily buy records anymore, and shit is heavy to lug around), but anything more than that if you're not using Ableton for some funky self-production business? It's usually not something they understand nor care about. People are set in their ways a lot of times.

It's just how it is.

There are many people and parties being thrown that are more open to the newer side of things. But it's about finding those places.

The big thing being really, as far as I can tell, keeping only turntables or CDJ's tends to collect people who have either been doing it for awhile, or have put the investment into the equipment. It generally (not always) weeds out a lot of the kids who come up and are just doing it with cheap digital devices and pulling the business, or fanbase away from the old school crew.

I've seen people have fantastic and terrible sets using all sorts of different equipment. Will I say the majority of the DJs I like to see out use turntables or CDJs? Yes. But that doesn't mean there are other guys who can't rock it equally as hard using a controller.

I don't personally have any experience (well, very little) with CDJ's. But I have friends who rock controllers, and I enjoy the 1200's with a couple other buddies. I go to shows generally 2-5 nights a week, and out of those nights, the majority are on CDJ's or turntables with DVS.

Some of the newer crews only have the digital stuff. And it's fine. Selection is the key aspect of playing a good set, but there's also something that has to be said for the ability to beatmatch on the fly. Which you CAN do with a controller, people just don't expect it. And so there is a stigma involved.

Because lets face it, beatmatching really isn't easy until you teach yourself how to do it. And then it's like riding a bike. Some people become BMX stars, turntablists, controllerists, while others do their own thing. But it's a skill that people put a lot of weight on in the scene. And it's something the old hats of the scene understand is a difficult thing to master, and there's a lot of hate on the ability to use sync (even if you don't) because it takes away one of the barriers to the craft. DJing isn't easy, but it's become more accessible.

And it doesn't matter how innovative or cool something is. In the music industry, as far as I can tell, it would be like bringing a turbo'd out japanese car to a muscle car rally. A lot of the mindset just isn't as forward thinking as people would like sometimes. You'll have respect, but then you'll also get shit for doing something new. People are set in their ways. Most DJ's have been doing it for years, and still haven't fully caught onto the new things with technology. Because it's really jumped BOUNDS in the last few years.

Being able to own your actions, rock the set, and love what you're doing is what is going to get you places. Everyone runs into speed-bumps in what they choose to do, it's about handling yourself and getting past those points in life that either makes or breaks you.

But, I'll admit, I fall into that sometimes as well. I will have much more respect for someone rocking vinyl or cdj's and pulling off an amazing set than I will with someone with a controller. Because I EXPECT more from someone using a controller. The tools that are brought to the table with a good controller are much more than you can pull off with turntables or CDJ's, so doing the same kind of routine isn't going to be received in the same manner. Don't buy a Ferrari and drive in the city, basically.

Hope I got my feelings on the matter across well. I personally decided to go with TT's for part of this same reason, and it's why I use Serato as well. I like the old style of mixing without getting super fancy, and it translates to the equipment I use. If you're going to be innovative with your choice of equipment, you need to be bringing something new to the table. And the trick is balance, because no one wants to listen to a controllerist or turntablist set all night long, but being able to rock bits and pieces, that's when it gets sexy.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast