Those Oh So Horrible Nights......(Dj's Reputation?)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Those Oh So Horrible Nights......(Dj's Reputation?)

Hi guys,

Had somewhat of an unsuccessful gig today.
    Played at a friend's party at a banquet area for free as a present.
    He wanted me to play a rave type set (Loads of Electro, Hardstyle, and Trance)

30 Minutes into the set, I him wanting to plug an iPod in and play 'grinding music' and some sort of classical ethnic music. He asked me to switch it in the middle of a hardstyle mix train. I had to oblige, ruining the atmosphere i tried to build completely.

This happened 10 times throughout the night- these short, 2-3 song intervals from an iPod. My mates had had it at the time, but this trend kept persisting.

I left early since I gave up at the time.

Went home and got an interesting opinion from the parents. I was supposed to play whatever he wanted and whenever regardless.

Yet I was knowingly hired with a clear definition of the music I should provide

Am I wrong here for standing up and saying I have a reputation to protect?
    Have you guys faced something similar?
    Discuss!

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

You played a "friend"'s party for free. I wouldn't worry about your "reputation". I guess he must be a good friend because if you were really bothered by being told what to play you could've just ignored him or packed it in. Sorry it wasn't what you expected but I really wouldn't worry too much about losing "credibility" on something like that.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Don't let it bug ya. I was in a similar situation before when some girl heard my stuff online and hired me for her bday party. I show up and she interrupted my set every 30 minutes so she could plug in her ipod to play scary monsters by skrillex (I actually have an ok collection of skrillex, but she insisted on constantly hearing that song). Now as someone who is hired by that individual, I sorta had to oblige.

As for the reputation thing, its hard to say really. If you had a bunch of friends or followers who came out to the party (which is unlikely since it seems to be a private party hosted by your friend), then to some degree you could lose their respect for not playing what they came to see you play. However, at the same time, you could have lost the respect of the people at the party + the host for leaving early. The rule of thumb usually is, if he hired you, you have to play what he wants you to. That being said, it was unfair for him to ask you to play stuff that is completely different from what your into, but thats life. Either way, don't let it bug ya, everyone will forget about the whole situation in a week or two.
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Yea man, I wouldn't worry about that too much. If it happened at a club or somewhere you were getting paid, then I'd worry a little.

Stuff happens to me like at this hookah bar I dj at. Since its not a club, but we try to make it in one. I will be told to be play lets say they want me to play "New music" - Which gets sorta hard, but it truly adds to my collection! There is at least 4 people a night asking me can you play "Pursuit of happnies - steve akoi" "Rude boy-rihanna" and i can only play like 4 new songs, and the hookah bar owner is like "I heard all this stuff before, quit the bull***

Tech Mentor

Thanks guys. I left early since I had family things to meet

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

I agree that if there weren't 51% followers then you should just play what your friend wants. Soon your friend will realize to trust the you as a DJ that is responsible for curating music.

Don't sweat it. If he asks you again, say no; you are not a 'meatpod'.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

It was a free party for a friend, so no - it doesn't really matter...if anything just take away from this that you don't need to play things like this.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Tech Wizard

Dude don't even tripp lol

I played at my best friends party in February....and his girlfriend kept telling me to play Hipster music, when he had asked for straight Electro House. I really hated her drunk ass that night lol. she couldn't let me go through with my set without interrupting me. so she can Hipster/Indie Rock dance with her ugly ass friends :/

It happens brah
    CHECK OUT MY SOUNDCLOUD BRUH!!!: http://soundcloud.com/fabiioofficial
    Be sure to take a listen to my newest tracks
    15' Macbook Pro l Traktor Scratch Pro 2 Kontrol Z2 l Kontrol D2's l Pioneer PLX 1000's l

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast