Hip-Hop DJ's?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hip-Hop DJ's?

Default Hip-Hop DJ's?

It seems that there is a scarcity of Hip-Hop DJ's on this forum and many others. Anyone care to sound off as to why you think this is true? I enjoy good house/electro/etc, but I like to mix in a fair share of rap/hip-hop. Anyone else?

Tech Wizard

I think it is because there is a large amount of hip hop music that is too gimmicky and no one really likes that feel. Though the gimmicky feel of some tracks across all genres is disliked the shear volume of gimmicky tracks that come out ofthe Hip Hop genre is just to large. I myself like some hip hop but it is really hard to find the

I was born with my 2 older brothers into hip-hop and i still have a love for it. Its harder when your trying to keep people dancing to play. I have seen A LOT of mixes on dj heros with raps that sound like you can dance to them. So at the moment i've been playing dj hero to see how they make a normal hip hop song into a full blown dancing song.

Tech Mentor

I would say you don't see a lot of hip hop DJs for a few reasons. Mixing techniques are more beat juggling, acapella blends, and less about using effects and more about timecode vinyl and keeping it basic and less about midi and loops. Cue points are important for scratching and blends. Most of the real big hip hop DJs that I know think with a few exceptions, that no good hip hop has come out since about 2005, that hip hop started dying a slow death around 2000. But I will tell you that I have heard from some real credible sources that this year will be a HUGE revolution in hip hop, so keep your eyes open.

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    I would say you don't see a lot of hip hop DJs for a few reasons. Mixing techniques are more beat juggling, acapella blends, and less about using effects and more about timecode vinyl and keeping it basic and less about midi and loops. Cue points are important for scratching and blends. Most of the real big hip hop DJs that I know think with a few exceptions, that no good hip hop has come out since about 2005, that hip hop started dying a slow death around 2000. But I will tell you that I have heard from some real credible sources that this year will be a HUGE revolution in hip hop, so keep your eyes open.
    I can understand that, in terms of hip-hop itself, not really DJ related, Hip-Hop is going to have an enormous year. Rap is "cliquing" (grouping) up for the first time since Wu-Tang, Tribe, etc. It's really exciting

In terms of rap being "too gimicky" I can completely understand, Drake, Lil' Wayne, etc, have ruined the radio and I hate when people ask me to play it at gigs.

most hip hop dj's spin on Serato... not saying its better for hip hop it just happened that way for whatever reason.

If you go on the Serato forums most of those guys spin hip hop... hardly any spin any form of EDM. It's almost the exact opposite of this forum.

I spin hip hop and use Traktor though.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jimbrowski00 View Post
    I spin hip hop and use Traktor though.
    +1

I spin a lot of hip hop, and yeah, most of my hip hop friends are all on Serato. I'd have to agree that good hip hop has been dying since 2000, at least the charted "Billboard" type of hip hop.... Underground has always survived pretty strong and I've heard a lot of great hip hop that's been released in the last decade or so. I do believe it's up for a little revolution though.

I think the main thing here about lack of hip hop guys on most digital DJing forums is that most hip hop guys are on Serato and don't really care as much about controllers. Most use external mixers, vinyl tables, timecode, and maybe some dicers or something for cues and loops. Of course with the new 62, that's covered in the mixer itself anyway.....
    Tre Tuna
    DJ and Recording and Mixing engineer for live and studio sound
    Traktor Pro 2.7.1 | MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4gigs ram
    Stanton STR8-150s | Ortofon Q-Bert Carts
    NI Z2, F1, Machine MK I, RigKontrol 3 | Dicers | PadKontrol

Tech Guru

I really don't know why most hip hop DJ's are on Serato but it's definitely the case. I'm on Traktor and love playing classic hip hop, again it's not really the tools it's how you use it.

As much as I love playing hip hop it kinda stops at the classics for me, I don't play Drake or Lil Wayne and the rate that good hip hop comes out compared to all the other genres, especially EDM, is really slow.

I helped out another DJ in town here by throwing him a bunch of hip hop I had and it was sad to say but seems like once you have a lot of the classics your hip hop collection won't need to be any bigger for commercial clubs. Underground club will appreciate any of the underground hip hop because they don't care if "they can dance to it".

I think attention spans have a lot to do with it too. For hip hop it seems like once they've heard one verse and chorus it's time to get onto the next one.

Banned

I have seen A LOT of mixes on dj heros with raps that sound like you can dance to them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast