Ableton transition from PC to MAC

Default Ableton transition from PC to MAC

Can any mac user answer this?

My mom gave me her mac and i want to transfer ableton and most of my shit (VST's,samples all that) from my pc.

I know ableton's installer on PC is .exe and i know that mac doesn't take that extension, but what about the vst's? can i move all the .dll's to my mac and they will work? or i need to get the installer for mac?

Gotta get mac installers. In terms of library though, you can just drag and drop.
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

u should be able to download the mac version from ableton. when i moved to mac i had to click on some page to get a free license for mac as mine was ofc for windows and then could just download the mac dmg.

samples/etc u can just copy - you'll need mac versions of your vst's - tho i'm sure i have read something about running windows vst's on linux? probably via some cunning vst host tho - doubt ableton would support that.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Convert

.dll files can't be read on mac. I haven't been able to find any kind of converters or anything like that except mac versions

Quote Originally Posted by Kwasi View Post
    .dll files can't be read on mac. I haven't been able to find any kind of converters or anything like that except mac versions
    sure - as they're a library that has been compiled for windows - same issue as trying to run a .exe from windows on a mac or running a linux binary on windows etc
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Banned

Gotta get mac installers.

FML. download like 10 Vst's and install that shit.

Also something to bear in mind, mac versions of plugins are primarily Audio Unit (although some have vst versions too) and if you have had a vst version of the plugin opened in your pc project, Ableton under os x will not be able to see the respective AU version of the plugin.

I have a suspicion that this will also still be the case from pc vst to os x vst as a pc vst is a .dll file, and a mac vst is simply a .vst file.

Long story short, you will probably have to bounce all your Soft synth parts to audio, and manually copy your insert and bus plugin settings parameter by parameter...