Anyone here do house parties?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Anyone here do house parties?

Hey guys, over the course of summer i'm really looking to step up my DJing skills and i'd like them to be good enough to perform for house parties. I really love the atmosphere of a house party. So does anyone here do them? What's necessary equipment? Are things like lights essential? What is the best way to get gigs with people? I'd be perfectly fine with doing a few gigs free but would be looking to get paid in the future to ensure that my service is seen as something of value and so people don't book me and then cut out at the last second without any cost for it. Thanks techtools

House parties can be pretty lucrative. A few summers ago, i was doing alot of em. We used a 15'' sub, 2 tops, amp, a small scanner, and a couple of par cans and usually set up in the back yard. You can also fit (probably not legally) around 300 people in your average backyard of a San Fernando Valley home. At 5 bucks a head, you can make a killing. Keep everything on rollers and in cases and have an escape route planned. And whatever you do, don't use your own house

Tech Guru

"a small scanner, and a couple of par cans"

What are these lol? Also what was the cost usually for your equipment, did you rent or just own your own stuff? And was there any problem with neighbours? I live in a pretty small city, so I don't know how many people you could turn out.

i think police scanner, that would have saved me alot of trouble lol.

but i never got into to much trouble for spinnin house parties, just turn it off, and i make sure i don't get drunk either cause i am the one usually always talking to the cops.

but really i don't think you need lights and stuff maybe, a strobe light and a disco globe lol.
    www.myspace.com/djxsquizet
    my arsenal:
    2x vestax pdx, numark dxm09, m-audio x session pro, and ableton live 6.

I spin hip hop/electro/top 40

my 10minmix video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAgSmaG4zM

Light scanner actually, but the police scanner is a good idea.

LOL +1 police scanner if your gonna party with Damien. Last time I went to one of his gig I was welcomed by 100 police and 2 ghetto birds.

But back on topic. For house parties I would use 2 15" powered speakers & 2 led lights. I really dont do house parties unless its for family or close friends. No backyard flyer parties where no Noz or Weed is gonna be sold, Count me out!
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

My policy with houseparties is I'll play them for free unless the people throwing the party are charging at the door, in which case I am forced to ask for my share.

I've never really been to a houseparty that's been super big though. They all end up being more almost 'get togethers' with more drinks than usual haha. I still love playing them if the people who are there are there to dance. Often times it's not the case

I love doing parties. My only rules are...
    1. No Requests
    2. When i flick my fingers, beer me woman!
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Damien1138 View Post
    House parties can be pretty lucrative. A few summers ago, i was doing alot of em. We used a 15'' sub, 2 tops, amp, a small scanner, and a couple of par cans and usually set up in the back yard. You can also fit (probably not legally) around 300 people in your average backyard of a San Fernando Valley home. At 5 bucks a head, you can make a killing. Keep everything on rollers and in cases and have an escape route planned. And whatever you do, don't use your own house
    That would be shut down in a second in UK.

Ive played lots of house parties but they are exactly that. A party at a house.
    You start charging to get in and if the cops get a whiff of that its OVER.

The whole 'rave' or 'soundsystem' thing is over in UK. Very rare these days.

It sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    I love doing parties. My only rules are...
    1. No Requests
    2. When i flick my fingers, beer me woman!
    +1

im with you all the way on that one Jester!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast