A little help with PA purchase decision Please
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default A little help with PA purchase decision Please

I will be purchasing a PA for mobile gigs very soon and after researching and reading all I could find on the following choices, I am not sure which way to go.
    The choices are:

Matrix b-52 1000 v2 which I found for $650 new
    Behringer 212d's and 1500d found lightly used for $650 and would need to purchase stands and cables
    RCF 312a's for $900 new and would still need stands and cables.

Budget is $1000 or less, crowd size up to 100, venues would be bars/pubs.

Your thoughts about your experience with any of these set ups are greatly appreciated!

None of the above?

Stay away from the matrix they are total junk.

Not familiar with the RCFs but you will want a subwoofer.

For $1000 you can get used QSCs although you won't be able to get a subwoofer for that price too which you will want. Really though I wouldn't spend money on any powered PA speakers other than QSC but that is personal preference. EV is also decent and a bit cheaper.

They behringers don't sound all that great but I would still take them over the matrix. I have a b212 sitting around and it isn't terrible but if I was doing mobile gigs I would get a better PA system.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 04-16-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks for the thoughts!
    RCFs have gotten great reviews from people with experience with different speakers, so I am leaning towards them with the idea to save up and add a sub later. The Behringers I know are on the low end, but had seen a few reviews that with a sub they were pretty good and I was tempted by the price.
    Hard to find good unbiased reviews though. Too many fall into the category of "I bought it so I think it's good"

Yeah I don't trust most internet reviews, especially the blogs- everyone is afraid of telling the brutal honest truth and will always try to be gentle and put a positive spin on a product regardless of how much it might suck or just be mediocre. When is the last time you read a negative review on a music related product on a major blog DJ or otherwise?
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 04-16-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Yea, spend the few extra bucks and get some QSC's, I made the mistake of getting some cheap speakers and now I'm out $700

Yeah I don't trust most official internet reviews, especially the blogs- everyone is afraid of telling the brutal honest truth and will always try to be gentle and put a positive spin on a product regardless of how much it might suck or just be mediocre. When is the last time you read an all out negative review on a product on a major blog DJ or otherwise?
    Too true! I try to take those with a big grain of salt, and rely more on forum posts around the web from posters with some credibility.

Tech Mentor

Why not buy a single sub and a single main and run it in mono?

Tech Guru

There are very few NEW systems that you can buy for <$1000. You have listed both of the options that I recommend.

If you elect to purchase used, it is possible to get a really good deal. It is also possible to purchase someone else's problem. Buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    Matrix b-52 1000 v2 which I found for $650 new
    This is a great price new. At $650, the system will retain a LOT of that value even used. I see used versions of this system selling for around $500 in my area all the time (MSRP is about $900 new).

Keep in mind that you may still need to buy stands, and longer cables.

The B52 Martix 1000v2 systems are reasonable value for money. BUT, it is not worth trying to expand the system later. If you get this system, use it to make enough $$$ to upgrade a full new PA, and then you can sell the B52 system or put it on backup duty.

As long as your expectations are reasonable, this system will cover 100 people. This is a good setup for a mobile DJ who will be doing wedding receptions....BUT do not expect to blow the roof off a frat house party.

Behringer 212d's and 1500d found lightly used for $650 and would need to purchase stands and cables
    The Behringer cabinets are OK...but the RCF's are noticeably clearer and louder. I would not buy this particular Behringer gear...tho there is a lot of product from them that is worth the $$$.

RCF 312a's for $900 new and would still need stands and cables.
    The RCF 312A's are good value for money, and sound better than they should for the $. This is the route I would go....as the system can be easily upgraded in the future with subs.

The B52Matrix1000v2 system will have a better overall sound than the RCF3112A' (tops only). BUT, if you add a decent sub to the 312A's, then it will be a better system.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    Why not buy a single sub and a single main and run it in mono?
    Will be running mono regardless, as very few people would be in the sweet spot for running stereo. I didn't consider this because I didn't think the coverage would be good enough with one top. Am I wrong?

Thanks for the thoughts soundinmotion!

I guess the real question in my mind is will the RCF's be enough to do the job untill I can afford a sub. Realize that I will not be doing any frat parties, weddings, or very large rooms. The bars/pubs will have a dance floor for maybe 40-60 people or less.

If you are going to be running mono anyway you would be better off getting a sub and one top then adding in a second top later.

With just two tops you won't have any bass.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast