Starting Up

Thread: Starting Up

Tech Student

Default Starting Up

Sup guys,
    So I might be having a boring summer and I will change this! Going to pick up an S2 and some future equipment depending on how this goes. I've done a couple parties before with my friend's stuff and it was really fun, and relatively easy (I work with some tough software at school so Traktor wasn't too tough for me to understand fortunately).

So a few questions...

-Where can you get the best newest music (electronic, electro house, dubstep, mainstream remixes, mainstream in general)? I have my arsenal, however I want to get music that everybodyyyy can fully enjoy.
    -How can I compensate for not having industrial speakers or crazy lighting (as of now). Is there a way to get around it? or am I just going to have to bite the bullet, use other people's, then accumulate?
    -What are some fun techniques to get the crowd dancing and show you came to party (besides playing the right music)? Parties tend to be stand-arounds with 50-70 people here sometimes, whiiiichhh blooowwwss.
    -What would you do in my situation?

1. Beatport/some similar site to buy music. If you want sites that release legal, free music, check out goodmusicallday.com (or something similar)

2. Get some decent powered speakers (what's your budget?)

3. Look on craigslist and other forums for lighting people are looking to sell (I have 3 lasers and a fogger, PM if you're interested)

4. Work on your MC'ing skills, broing DJ's who just sit behind the decks will struggle a little more than people who really interact with the crowd.

Tech Student

Awesome thanks for the reply.