Best way to start out? HELP needed! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

^this
    Being able to beatmatch is a great thing, and it is also "fun".
    And mixing a entire set beatmatching is also something that at you end you can be proud.
    Like a lot of people in the forum(i think), i use sync when i need to do more creative tricks, like beat juggle, controllerism, massive use of effects, but when mixing in proper "normal" way, i go for manual beatmatch, at least you improve your feelings with the music and songs.
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

Soundcloud.
    Gone Vci 100 se arcade edition . Audio 2DJ . Launchpad . RMX . lpd8 .

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I would steer you away from getting "just" software from the onset and jump in the deep-end with a proven controller & software combo, it'll also get you away from the "watching the screen" mentality.

A mixtrack pro for example is running under $250 and already has the 4 channel sound card built in you'll need to start playing/cueing as you should, as well enough knobs and buttons that can control everything in pretty much any software without touching the mouse or keyboard.

6 months down the line if you are getting pissed at the build quality, or dj'ing sell it or upgrade to an s4/vci400 or something more pro.

$250 bucks really isn't alot to outlay on any hobby these days.

In my humble opinion of course.

Tech Convert

Thanks a lot.
    What are everyone's opinions on the mix track pro? It's well within my budget but I'm not sure as too how good virtual dj is compared with traktor?

I don't know much about mixtrack pro, but at that price I would recommend looking at the m-audio torq xponent as well:

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Torq-X.../dp/B000N7ZAIC

It is very smart to get a soundcard/controller combo because you will have enough to run decent audio stuff from your computer and you will have hardware control too. The other thing is that you are not stuck to any sort of software when you buy a midi controller. If down the line you decide to upgrade to traktor, or serato, you can always map all of the midi controls to that specific program (but that is a bit advanced at this point for you, this forum is always here to help you do that). Anyone have opinions on mixtrack pro or Torq? You can always check amazon reviews for these as well. Looks like the Mixtrack has gotten pretty fair reviews, but less amount than the torq.

You know what based on the reviews I think you're better off with the Numark instead of the torq. It looks like people have a hard time installing torq 1.5, which is what comes with the xponent. ANd torq 2.0 is $200 so you would be paying extra for an upgrade. Its also quite buggy from what I have heard. What type of laptop do you own? and how old is it?

Tech Wizard

Well, In some way I agree with who said ''Download the demos and bla bla bla'' and in an other way I regret that idea, because that will make a SyncButtonPerson and I don't want that for his future, that will make him a horrible DJ or not a DJ at all.
    I would recomend starting with a TTs+Mixer+DVS setup, so you will know from the begining how to Beat match and the DVS so you can use your MP3/WAV files from your computer, ATM the a setup like this one won't be expensive, expensive vs a controller maybe.
    But your free to do what you want, you can change the TTs for CDJs or you could decide not to use a software at all.Although I think Controllers are a good way to start If the SYNC button is mapped for something else.
    iMac 21,5''(End '09)/Beringher VMX100 USB/Acer Aspire ONE/2xTTs

Quote Originally Posted by haunt View Post
    Well, In some way I agree with who said ''Download the demos and bla bla bla'' and in an other way I regret that idea, because that will make a SyncButtonPerson and I don't want that for his future, that will make him a horrible DJ or not a DJ at all.
    I can't begin to tell you how wrong I personally see this being. Without knowing what software you like better, you won't be able to make as an informed decision on hardware. If you don't know what you want to do, or what you can do, you are relying on what you read. As with anything, there is lots of love and hate for everything. People love the s4, people hate it. Serato is better, traktor is better. How will you know what's good if you don't try what's free?

I started on a demo copy of vdj, and a bcd3000, didn't turn me into a syncperson, or "not a dj"
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by WillS View Post
    equipment to start off?
    I wouldnt start with equipment, get a feel for what its like using a laptop for a couple weeks and if you like it enough then buy equipment...but if you wanna jump on equipment just get something used off ebay like a mixtrack pro and also get traktor/vdj

If you feel ready to drop cash. Buy a Mixtrack Pro for ~$250, and download Serato DJ Intro. This will hold you over for at least a year while you develop your hands on skills.

Also, make sure it's a Mixtrack PRO, not a regular Mixtrack. The Pro has a built in soundcard, and allows you to use DJ Intro, which is miles ahead of anything you'll use with a controller short of $1000. You could waste hours dealing with mappings and effect chains using the hardware with Traktor, but if you're wanting to get going plug and play, DJ Intro is your best bet.

Mixtrack + traktor.
    Maybe have a look at a used s2, same cash, license included, and better control.
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

Soundcloud.
    Gone Vci 100 se arcade edition . Audio 2DJ . Launchpad . RMX . lpd8 .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast