Best way to start out? HELP needed! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Okay, thanks. You may all shout at me for this but I'm planning on just using it in my room, with a desktop? And some 200W speakers. Is that bad or does it have to be a laptop?

If your just starting, you want to have a good play on some free software, or various demo versions. When your truly happy and can not live with out mixing, then you should invest in quality software such as traktor.

If your budget isn't that great don't worry about a controller to much the true magic happens in the software not the hardware, you can pick controllers up for as little as £50 and easily upgrade when you have a bit more cash.

Tech Convert

Okay so I was talking to a dj and he was saying that there's no point in controllers because you lose the aspect of DJing by just hitting sync on a controller so you never really get a feel for it. How do controllers compare to CDJ's and TT's?

Be careful WillS, you don't want this turning into the controller is better, cdj is better, sync is cheating debate. The thread will get closed.

Read around here, and you will see that your DJ friend has a very outdated point of view. Controllers and CDJs are very much alike. Just because there is a certain button, doesn't change the game. Do your research and you will see there are benefits and pitfalls for all 3.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Convert

Okay that makes sense. Thanks dripstep

Tech Mentor

So not to beat a deadhorse here...but i was having the exact same debate with this dude regarding controllers/Cdjs/Vinyl

and this pretty much shut him up and he had nothing to reply with

Lol...it's funny how people who never have actually used a controller are such experts on them using terms like "bad" and "toys". Learn ur shit before u shit on other ppls lawns...I can mix on cdjs and know my way around vinyl enough that I can do a set, yet I prefer using my controller as its more mobile, and there is other stuff I can do with my mixes that can't be done on cdjs...well on 2000s they can but I don't have 4000 to spend on them. Corbin I'm assuming u hate serato as well because there are wave forms...or cdj2000s as well since they have wave forms...hell any cdj with a screen because it shows the Bpm. Fuck it in that case producers are fakes too since they arnt using old school analog synths and drum machine...and use a computer now a days...god damn this debate regrading cdjs/vinyl/controllers is so fucking retarded...as the guy said in the video...u r bitching about how ppl play other people's music on a different medium...if ur gonna bitch then bitch about something that's valid...like wow that guy mixes like shit...or don't and stick to your cave man philosophy and only use the original turntables that were belt driven with original vinyls...
    Kontrol S4-Novation Launch Pad-MF Pro BM-Traktor Pro 2-KRKRP8/KRK10-Windows 7 64 Bit-Toshiba A660

I dont care if you use 2 ipads...2 cassette tapes...or a washboard and a wooden spoon...if you rock it, you rock it.

@Gapout - THAT is the kind of post we are trying to avoid here. You keep the debate going with posts like that. OP is looking for info, heard something, and understands now that its not true. You beat that horse enough.

Hey, no worries bro. Read up on here, there is lots of info. Find software you like, find some controllers or tts or cdjs that you like, read up on what you have found, and any questions you have after that, I'm sure can be answered
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

How am i keeping the debate going??

Im pretty sure the nature of my post is...it doesnt matter what the heck you DJ on....
    Kontrol S4-Novation Launch Pad-MF Pro BM-Traktor Pro 2-KRKRP8/KRK10-Windows 7 64 Bit-Toshiba A660

I dont care if you use 2 ipads...2 cassette tapes...or a washboard and a wooden spoon...if you rock it, you rock it.

If you buy a controller you're just gonna' use the sync button from the start and you'll get so used to it that you're never going to want to learn how to manually beatmatch. If you ever wana' play in clubs then I suggest you save up and buy cdjs/turntables and a mixer. Then again, I don't know where you live and what the clubs are like over there.

Im from nyc. The crowd doesn't care what equipment you're using, but no promoter or management will give you respect or hire you if you're using a controller.

My opinion is a used s2 and traktor, or a mixtrack pro and traktor.
    I've gone from a Hercules Rmx with virtual dj, to a mixtrack pro with virtual dj then got traktor and not long after I started using traktor I upgraded to an s2 now I'm on the s4. All this has happened since last December lol!
    If you buy smart with hardware it won't cost much to upgrade.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast