[Suggestions/Opinions] Casual Headphones
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default [Suggestions/Opinions] Casual Headphones

I own a pair of IEMs and HDJ-2000 for DJ use.
    I've been commuting a lot these days so I wanted to get a new pair of earphones or headphones for casual outdoor use.

I do not want to take my IEMs outdoors since I do not want to risk losing/breaking it.
    The HDJ-2000 is too bulky for outdoors.

Anyone own quality earphones or headphones that are used outdoors for casual use?

**NO Beats By Dr. Dre products please**
    Last edited by blnkdagr; 04-16-2012 at 08:16 PM.

I've been intrigued by some stuff myself, like the other stuff AIAIAI makes. http://aiaiai.dk/store/headphones is the website. The tracks look sexy, but I don't know anything more than that.

I need to get a good pair of running/working out headphones, so I've been looking around a bit myself. The HDJ-2000's are a bit much for that, nor would I want to get them extra sweaty :P

Also deciding if I want some in-ears or over ears for this, and it's a tough call. I haven't like most in-ears, but haven't gotten myself (or tried because that's just nasty lol) nice ones either.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Yeah, I'm looking for a good pair of headphones and i bet a lot of people are. - Are beats by dr.dre bad headphones? or are they bad for the cost, or are they to hipster?

Quote Originally Posted by Childrenatplay View Post
    Yeah, I'm looking for a good pair of headphones and i bet a lot of people are. - Are beats by dr.dre bad headphones? or are they bad for the cost, or are they to hipster?
    They aren't worth the money. You can get much better sounding headphones at a fraction of the cost. They are only expensive because of the label, and they also have batteries which can fail mid-gig or whatever. It's just one of those things that if you see someone who has them, they haven't done the research on other better sounding headphones. I mean, they look pretty. But unless vanity is your only game...

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Childrenatplay View Post
    For me, it's just a personal preference. I have had bad experiences with their products and their customer service was horrible every time. This is why I would never buy another Beats By Dr. Dre product. In addition, their product is too expensive. For the price, one can purchase better quality headphones.

Tech Mentor

If you are purchasing the Original or Studio Beats by Dr. Dre headphones, I think they are ok at best. I think the Pro's despite their ridiculous price tag (~$400) are fantastic headphones, but definitely expensive.

Beats are garbage. Generally only owned by people who have no idea or choose things by brand and image instead of quality.

I few I've come across in my day job (My work is a large Australian distributor of electronic products, we get loads of samples from companies seeking Aust Distribution)

http://www.idamericany.com/index.php...oduct_id=29801

These are stupidly good for the price, honestly sound as good as headphones that cost 5 times as much. Easily the most comfortable in ear headphones I've ever worn, you barely notice you're wearing them.

or...

http://www.solrepublic.com/headphone...epublic-tracks

if you don't like in ear buds.

That's just a few that provide amazing bang for your buck in my opinion. Obviously there are some amazing Sennheiser, Bose, Shure etc etc headphones out there if you got the cash, but both of the two above I personally think are on par with those brands for a fraction of the price.

Tech Guru

Not trying to make this into a Beats by Dre thread, but just wanted to say a couple things. I actually have a pair of Beats by Dre Pro headphones. I only use them when I gig. As a DJ, you do anything that will make you stand out. Your typical club goer prob isnt going to know which version of Pioneer headphones you have or even heard of Sennheiser, but they will recognize the Beats logo on a flashy pair of headphones. Yes their are better sounding headphones for less money, so as a DJ if you're only concerned about sound quality for the $ then don't buy them, it's not worth the money. Your basically paying for the Logo. It may be stupid but if it makes you stand out and gets you noticed, then I think it's worth the investment.

So with that being said, back on topic. Do you have a budget?
    Last edited by manchild; 04-17-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Not trying to make this into a Beats by Dre thread, but just wanted to say a couple things. I actually have a pair of Beats by Dre Pro headphones. I only use them when I gig. As a DJ, you do anything that will make you stand out. Your typical club goer prob isnt going to know which version of Pioneer headphones you have or even heard of Sennheiser, but they will recognize the Beats logo on a flashy pair of headphones. Yes their are better sounding headphones for less money, so as a DJ if you're only concerned about sound quality for the $ then don't buy them, it's not worth the money. Your basically paying for the Logo. It may be stupid but if it makes you stand out and gets you noticed, then I think it's worth the investment.

So with that being said, back on topic. Do you have a budget?
    I see you are from Boston/Worcester. My backyard lol. Can't wait to see you play out with those and I'll give you some shit.

Vanity is a fickle mistress, and it really depends on your style and who you want to cater to. I'd much rather have someone come up and ask me about my HDJ-2000's and have an intelligent conversation about sound, then have some random person come up and tell me all about their Beats. It's just a level of who I like to associate with that's presented by my image.

I mean hell, I rock Adidas gear all the time. But when it comes to the stuff I use professionally audio equipment wise, I stick with the stuff that has the best sound. Period. If the Beats were superior than other headphones, honestly, there would be more of an argument. But they aren't. You pay too much for a less than the best pair of headphones.

And that I cannot respect.

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Wait a sec..

You're saying that people judge DJs on the brand of their headphones???

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Anyway, that may have come across harsher then I meant, it isn't meant to be, it just blows me away people think like that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast