Awesome Article on mnml ssgs about "EDM" and how it's actually hurting the scene
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Awesome Article on mnml ssgs about "EDM" and how it's actually hurting the scene

http://mnmlssg.blogspot.co.uk/2012/0...m-matters.html

Very good article on why the popularity of "EDM" could potentially end up being a bad thing for all of us.

He has a pretty good point and I agree with him on his analysis, although I'm not sure if the end result will necessarily be as bad as he makes it out to be.

It's already like that now with the EDM thing, when I meet people and they say they like electronic music and we strike up a conversation and they start going on about how they want to see Swedish House Mafia, Avicii, and just got back from a Steve Aoki show I quickly realize how little we actually have in common and are talking about two different things.

I'm just hoping the popularization will open the channels for a bigger underground scene to develop and will lead some people to explore some other electronic music. I used to like a lot of garbage too and eventually refined my tastes so there is hope. I even look at some of the stuff I was listening to a year ago and am appalled with myself.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 04-16-2012 at 11:32 PM.

I'm just curious when did people start using "EDM" to refer exclusively to commercial electro house/dubstep? I always used it to describe the supergenre: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_dance_music

Blame the American Media for that one mate

Quote Originally Posted by dual citizen View Post
    I'm just curious when did people start using "EDM" to refer exclusively to commercial electro house/dubstep? I always used it to describe the supergenre: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_dance_music
    This. I've always thought of EDM as pretty much everything from House to Psytrance to Breaks.

Then again, the mainstream hivemind is not an intelligent beast, I think the concept of a "metagenre" is a bit too abstract for it.

As I've mentioned before somewhere, the problem with the mainstream interest in EDM is the exponential increase in assholes you get at places that play electronic music, even of the non Aoki/Guetta/Skrillex-variety.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

I refuse to take a word the author says seriously if he's going to make blatant assumptions that the music is bad because its mainstream.

Things that go mainstream can be annoying, but even more annoying are the people who feel a sense of supremacy from not taking part in it.

Tech Student

Perhaps the most obvious problem is the way EDM has taken, and essentially re-appropriated, fundamental aspects of dance / rave culture. One example is the way '90s rave culture - the glowsticks, the fluro, the lollypops and so on - have all been resurrected in a way that looks like it is a joke but actually seems to be genuine.
    This is incorrect. He speaks to "EDM" like this term - never mind its connotation - is something new. It's not. People have always branded the music in this way (not the same name), and will continue to do so during and after the popularity fades (if it fades).

When you check these guys on youtube it is amazing that most of them can barely even mix - at best it is a crossfade, at worst a proper trainwreck, or some choose the Peter Hook route of letting the CD do the mixing for them.
    'Fair point. However, the popularity hasn't risen the figure of the DJ but rather the producer who emulates one. I must admit it is annoying to view set lists anymore to see 12+ tracks which all feature the performer as either the key producer or have their name at the end as an edit or bootleg. At that point it's no longer a DJ but a performer - it gets boring. To me this is the aspect has gotten out of hand which lends itself to the popularity and the ability to make a very comfortable living if you make it to that level.

The spaces where we can listen, dance and enjoy music are slowly being eaten away. Clubs are disappearing as more and more apartment blocks and shops appear everywhere. More noise complaints, stricter licensing laws, property developers - these are things that will be taking away our places to dance and share the music we love.
    At first I thought the author was referring to the idea that because this form of "EDM" was becoming popular that clubs that used to tolerate house music (Dennis Ferrer's recent fiasco) now only want SHM and therefore, in conjunction with the decreasing real estate available to enjoy a viable establishment, other forms that have not seen the same rise to fame would fade away. Then he curtailed... and I became confused as to whether this was his issue or if it was laws and developers taking space away that would ruin electronic music (never mind any other type of genre) which is a weak argument that doesn't really correlate at all with the rise of "EDM".

Valuable forms of electronic music that deserve to be supported and given space in our societies.
    What does this even mean? Why is the music that David Guetta or _____ any less valid than whatever genre the author likes? It might suck to him but clearly someone must like it. Sorry, but I've seen an increase, not decrease, in both production and genre types within the electronic community; for better or for worse.

Has anyone noticed a steep decline in their favoured electronic genre since the rise of "EDM" that wasn't already quite niche to begin with (honest question)? I mean, I was a trance guy for a long time (still am) and sure the sound has changed and a lot gets stuck in "progatory" but there's still plenty of enjoyable tracks that are released. Tribal house is still around as well and both genres I can find close by in higher frequency than I used to be able to. In Toronto there seem to be more places now playing electronic music than there were in the past - it appears the case at least..

All-in-all an interesting read but it felt more like hyperbole than a well thought out opinion. I haven't read much else on the impact of real estate so that was different. Nice find!

My $0.05 cents since our penny is being phased out

good article
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Quote Originally Posted by zero15ny View Post
    I refuse to take a word the author says seriously if he's going to make blatant assumptions that the music is bad because its mainstream.

Things that go mainstream can be annoying, but even more annoying are the people who feel a sense of supremacy from not taking part in it.

+10000000

I cannot stand that whole "It's mainstream I don't like it" nonsense.

Hipsters....

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by zero15ny View Post

You said it!

Not liking something because it's popular is even worse than liking something because it's popular...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast