How do most DJ's mix Top40 music with electronic?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default How do most DJ's mix Top40 music with electronic?

When I'm at a club and I hear top40 music mixed in with electronic/house music it makes me wonder how the DJ is doing it, obviously they could just be playing a premixed song but I'm sure there are people who mix it live and it makes me wonder how. Do most people just use acapellas of Top40 songs and then use electronic music as the backing or are they somehow mixing the regular versions of the songs with electronic music, if that's the case how can you do that without making it sound awful. Sorry if this is kind of a vague questions, I can try to clarify if you don't get any parts of what I'm asking. Thanks for your time!

A lot of top40 I've heard (stuff like lmfao, rhianna etc.) Is 128-130bpm. Kill the most of the bass and some of the highs and throw some house in, and you are set. Or grab the accapellas and toss some edm in for good taste.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Alot of 'pop' and chart music have club mixes in the promo package plus a range of other mixes.

The club mixes are very similar to the radio ones but with mix in and mix outs allowing use in a club set.

Acapellas are also very popular as stated above.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    A lot of top40 I've heard (stuff like lmfao, rhianna etc.) Is 128-130bpm. Kill the most of the bass and some of the highs and throw some house in, and you are set. Or grab the accapellas and toss some edm in for good taste.
    Ahh, alright, that's pretty much exactly what I was wondering! thanks!

No worries. At least that's how I do it, others here might have different processes they follow.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

All the methods above work but it you want to try your hand I have an advance method that destroys most dance floors

This takes practice but here is how it works.
    Take a the EDM song and cue up the drop.
    While playing your top 40 song set a loop on a key word or phrase.
    Start uping the BPM to match the EDM song while cutting the loop 1 beat
    Start working in the filter or reverb (what ever transition effect you use) slowly
    When you reach 1/4 or 1/8 beat drop the loop and filter all the way up
    Cut to the EDM drop.

Here is how that will sound . Top 40 Adele set fire. EDM song internet friends
    I loop on the chorus when she says set fire so its saying FIRE FIRE FIRE
    I start bringing up the BPM and start cutting beats so now it sounds like high pitched FIRE Fir Fir Fi Fi FFFFFFFFFFF and the filter creates that swoosh sound.
    When I reach my peak in this build up I cut to the Drop
    You blocked me on Face Book now your going to die.
    Watch as the crowd lose their minds and goes crazy.
    Last edited by Dj Noriddim; 04-17-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Noriddim View Post
    All the methods above work but it you want to try your hand I have an advance method that destroys most dance floors

This takes practice but here is how it works.
    Take a the EDM song and cue up the drop.
    While playing your top 40 song set a loop on a key word or phrase.
    Start uping the BPM to match the EDM song while cutting the loop 1 beat
    Start working in the filter or reverb (what ever transition effect you use) slowly
    When you reach 1/4 or 1/8 beat drop the loop and filter all the way up
    Cut to the EDM drop.

Here is how that will sound . Top 40 Adele set fire. EDM song internet friends
    I loop on the chorus when she says set fire so it saying FIRE FIRE FIRE
    I start bring up the BPM and start cutting beats so now it sounds like high pitched FIRE Fir Fir Fi Fi FFFFFFFFFFF and the filter creates that swoosh sound.
    When I reach my peak in this build up I cut to the Drop
    You blocked me on Face Book now your going to die.
    Watch as the crowd lose their minds and goes crazy.
    That is an amazing example. I'm definitely going to try that tonight!

Tech Mentor

Just keep at it though and remember the BPM does not have to match exactly. You are using the loop, increasing BPM and the filter to create your build up. You can also use the technique in reverse as well lowering the BPM of a EDM song and using a time stretch and then echo out to bring in another song.

Also when mixing EDM with top 40 some genres go well together like moombahton and hip hop. Pop works well with House and soulful music works well with dubstep sometimes.

I heard a mix on soundcloud of those two songs by dj retoxx that sounded alot like the mix you just described. Is that a popular mix?
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    ^^^^This^^^^

I play, or should I say, I use to play at an open format club. Todays Top40 is actually just watered down house and/or electro. There are also plenty of Top40 remixes out there, which is what I use most of the times. There are a few Top40's where I have acapellas of, but I mainly use those in my sample banks for transitions and such to lower BPMs.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast