S/PDIF Questions with MacMini

Default S/PDIF Questions with MacMini

Hey guys.
    I'm asking here since I'm figuring everyone would know about this topic.
    I'm trying to run S/PDIF out of a MacMini from Logic Pro software into a Dell Computer with a SoundBlaster Live card, to stream on ShoutCast, and record.
    I've got Traktor and tons of other things routing into Logic, which mixes live through software monitoring going through tons of effects, and EQs... however I need to output all of it from the Mac into the other computer.

The MacMini aparently has a mini S/PDIF Toslink output on it in the headphones port:
    Picture 1
    Picture 2
    Picture 3

My SoundBlaster has a Coax styled S/PDIF input.
    What I'm wondering, is if there's any way to get Coax S/PDIF from the Mac Mini with the headphones port? Is there a way to have software convert the sound signal into S/PDIF so that it can run through Coax / Analog port?
    I'm wondering if it is possible to get that, or if I am just going to be forced to buy a Toslink - Coax adapter. Otherwise it'd be nice to be able to run the S/PDIF over a 3.5mm headphone cable, or RCA cable.

Thanks!
    Ctcwired

Quote Originally Posted by Ctcwired View Post
    What I'm wondering, is if there's any way to get Coax S/PDIF from the Mac Mini with the headphones port? Is there a way to have software convert the sound signal into S/PDIF so that it can run through Coax / Analog port?
    I'm wondering if it is possible to get that, or if I am just going to be forced to buy a Toslink - Coax adapter. Otherwise it'd be nice to be able to run the S/PDIF over a 3.5mm headphone cable, or RCA cable.

Thanks!
    Ctcwired
    I don't think you can get that... you can't get an optical S/PDIF signal thru a mini jack plug...
    But S/PDIF can be run via RCA too... not in your case
    In wich kind of adapter are you thinking ? I would like to know if that exist... I don't think but... you'll have to convert an optical signal to a digital signal... without a "box", I don't know how you can get that... (if that "box" exist... )

Those pictures in my post are pictures of the adapter on the MacMini.
    Those headphone ports have a special Toslink adapter you can get and actually receive a S/PDIF signal.

As for "BOX" here's what I was referring to:
    http://site.ambery.com/webgraph/AU-AD-Product1.jpg

Basically something that will take the Toslink from the MacMini and turn it into a Coax signal. The problem is, those boxes arn't cheep.

The thing I'm asking for, is a way to just get the Coax signal RIGHT FROM the MacMini, without having to convert it. Now obviously, I'd have a small adapter that changes the 3.5mm jack to an RCA jack, since the cables do the same thing, just different sizes.
    Last edited by Ctcwired; 05-10-2009 at 08:26 PM.

As for "BOX" here's what I was referring to:
    http://site.ambery.com/webgraph/AU-AD-Product1.jpg
    Thx for the link... I only knew rack models... this one looks perfect for small install...

Those pictures in my post are pictures of the adapter on the MacMini.
    Those headphone ports have a special Toslink adapter you can get and actually receive a S/PDIF signal.
    Well, those adapter, let you plug an optical cable in a headphone jack... but the signal still optical...

The thing I'm asking for, is a way to just get the Coax signal RIGHT FROM the MacMini
    I think that you can't have S/PDIF signal in a mini jack... the S/PDIF signal is not converted to analog when going thru Toslink... but to use the mini jack out, the signal has to be converted to analog (to go to speaker or headphones...) so it's not anymore S/PDIF...
    I hope I'm clear in what I'm trying to say