Sunshine's n00b Guide to PA Systems - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kamjongill View Post
    LoL, forreal though, my packages say "microphone" cable, it's 1/4in to XLR, is that bad?
    It's only bad if you meant to buy a speaker cable. The name on the package should have "speaker" somewhere in the title, thus defining it as being appropriate to handle voltage-level signals. Another giveaway that a cable is a speaker cable and not an instrument cable is that the package will often label the wire gauge on it, a concern that you would only have when dealing with voltage-level signals. When it comes to wire gauge, the bigger the better. Even if you are using 10-gauge wire to run a 100W system, you will be able to continue to use those cables if you upgrade to a higher-power system later on. Higher gauge wire also results in better speaker efficiency. In addition, most speaker cables are either raw wire, speakon, banana plug, or 1/4in. TS cables. I have yet to run into an XLR speaker cable, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I have never seen a speakon cable that was not a speaker cable.
    Last edited by DJ Sunshine; 04-17-2012 at 11:46 PM.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sunshine View Post
    It's only bad if you meant to buy a speaker cable. The name on the package should have "speaker" somewhere in the title, thus defining it as being appropriate to handle voltage-level signals. Another giveaway that a cable is a speaker cable and not an instrument cable is that the package will often label the wire gauge on it. In addition, most speaker cables are either raw wire, banana plug, or 1/4in. TS cables. I have yet to run into an XLR speaker cable, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
    So is it bad that I'm running 1/4 inch to XLR from my VCI-400EGE into 2 powered speakers?

Tech Mentor

So is it bad that I'm running 1/4 inch to XLR from my VCI-400EGE into 2 powered speakers?
    No, that is fine. Running from your mixer into active (powered) speakers with an instrument cable is alright, because the power amplifiers are built into the speakers, thus eliminating the need for speaker cables. If you were running your VCI-400 into a power amplifier and then using instrument cables to connect the speakers to the amp, that would be where you would run into problems. But from what you've described, you should have green lights all around, carry on
    Last edited by DJ Sunshine; 04-18-2012 at 12:00 AM.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

Thank You for clearing that up!

Tech Mentor

Thank You for clearing that up!
    It's my pleasure! Glad I could help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12