ULTRA NOOB In Need of TONS of Help Haha!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default ULTRA NOOB In Need of TONS of Help Haha!

Hi everyone!

SUPER NEW to this forum and DJing as a whole. I have absolutely no idea where to even start so I guess i need help finding myself lol. I found this forum by watching some videos on Youtube about the midi fighters (yes..the colors attracted me hahaha.) I've been spending my days trying to absorb as much as I can on YouTube and on this forum. I've read and watched a bit about basic beat counting and such but as for programs, types of controllers, and types of mixing...I know nothing. So my questions are..

What are the different types of mixing styles and some pros and cons of each? Don't really know what I'm trying to do
    What are the differences between a mixer and a controller? What is a controller even?
    What's a good software to get started with? Traktor? Seems like that's everyone's favorite
    What's some good equipment for a noob like me? I see that some people use a mixer and some sort of controller..or just an all-in-one. What's the diff? Just to put it out there I like the midi fighters just cause it's so unconventional-looking LOL

Budget-wise I don't mind spending a few hundred to get me started.

Any is greatly appreciated! I hope i can learn a lot from everyone
    Last edited by KaZe; 04-18-2012 at 02:18 AM.

Tech Mentor

Really depends on your budget and what you want to mix. For beginners, starting out with an all in 1 controller like the S2 is best. That way you don't have to buy a mixer, sound card, cdjs, etc. With an S2 you can learn all the basics and move on to much more advance things. The S2 comes with traktor as well so its a really good package.

2 approach of djing : analog and digital.
    With analog you'll need turntables, or cdj and a mixer.
    Digital, use a pc program that analyze and send out sound like a virtual mixer.
    Controllers are USB controllers like a game pad for controlling the virtual mixer and decks without using the mouse and keyboard.
    Pro and cons in both of them.
    IMO I prefer digital, because you can easily have all your music collection on the go, and there are some really fun controllers.
    In some place digital is considered not a good thing, due the fact of sync function, that old school DJ hate ("beatmatch or you are not a DJ")
    But you can beatmatch also with controllers
    If you are a scratch guy, you can go analog, or digital, adding turntables to you controller.
    Try the programs mixxx, vdj Serato and traktor, and find what is the better for you.
    I recommend traktor, great program now at a very low price (and if you buy something from NI it is included)

Digital DJ is the "easiest" way to start, because it is cheaper than having a good analog setup.

For a decent price you can have a mixtrack pro, that have built in sound card, it means you can have a main out and cue out directly from the controller.
    If you wanna spend a little more, there is the NI s2, that came with full traktor pro 2, better build, more function, good sound card.

Other questions?
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

Soundcloud.
    Gone Vci 100 se arcade edition . Audio 2DJ . Launchpad . RMX . lpd8 .

Tech Wizard

its also important to know song structure. this is a big aspect. think of a dj as someone who organizes the music for the audience. start by listening to music while you watch the waveform. i think this helps visualize the way a song is built. listen to your music differently than you may have in the past, paying attention to changes in the song. i.e. intro, buildups, drops, etc... when you load you first track keep it simple but also expierment at home. you will never know what sounds good until you know what sounds bad, so while venturing outside your comfort zone may lead to a bunch of loud noise, you will develop an ear for that sweet sound of success. when it happens you'll know... for me, i start dancing, i just can't help it. MY BIGGEST POINT HERE IS HAVE FUN, it will show in the music you create.

^this!^
    and try to learn from the beginning to beatmatch, after all you can only use sync in future if you want, but it is useful, it helps a lot to understand to known the songs, and for leaning to count.
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

Soundcloud.

Tech Wizard

I was in your same boat about 3 months ago and luckily there was a killer deal going on with Kontrol S2. I would highly recommend this controller. There is so much support for it here on this site and forum. After mixng with this machine everyday for the past three months I have advanced by leaps and bounds. One thing I will say when you're first starting out is be very organized with your music collection, whether your using traktor or serato (assuming you're going digital) this will help so much when it comes to practicing and eventually performing. There was a very good article on organization this past Monday. The one thing that has helped me the most when first starting out djing is THIS WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!!! Read absolutely everything on here, watch every tutorial and then do it all again. The more you can immerse yourself within djing the more it will sink in!! The most important part of djing (IMO) is the music. You have to love searching for new music! Really really really listen to your tracks; try to listen to their compostion (builds, breakdowns, chorus, good mixing points, good phrases for looping, etc) The more in tune with your music you are the better your mixes will be. Oh Yeah......HAVE FUN!!! Learning is half the fun... i dance with my headphones on in my bedroom on a daily basis lol
    13" Macbook_Kontrol S2_MF Classic_Ableton Live8_Akai Synthstation 25_Akai APC40

Beatmatching will seem pointless at first, but learn it, and learn it well. You will get to point where you wont even want to use the sync button. It makes mixing more fun when you know you did it yourself
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Tech Student

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I'll definitely pay attention on mastering beat matching. As for the S2 as of right now its a bit out of my price range..I really want to get it though. Are there any more alternatives that would be just as good as the S2? I read that a midi fighter pro is pretty good if just used alone as well for a beginner such as myself..what do you guys think? Anything around the price of the midi fighter pro would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by KaZe View Post
    Thanks for all the great advice guys! I'll definitely pay attention on mastering beat matching. As for the S2 as of right now its a bit out of my price range..I really want to get it though. Are there any more alternatives that would be just as good as the S2? I read that a midi fighter pro is pretty good if just used alone as well for a beginner such as myself..what do you guys think? Anything around the price of the midi fighter pro would be nice.
    Mmh, imo no, you may need a more classical controller in order to begin djing, look for a second hand one!!
    The problem of low budget controller is that when you have one, you always want to upgrade.
    I think that if you go with mixtrack after a while you'll be aiming at s2/s4.
    With those controller you are done, you can add what you want like x1 f1 midifighter, machine, k2 ecc but as main controller they are great.

Soundcloud.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by CionniAsDj View Post
    Mmh, imo no, you may need a more classical controller in order to begin djing, look for a second hand one!!
    The problem of low budget controller is that when you have one, you always want to upgrade.
    I think that if you go with mixtrack after a while you'll be aiming at s2/s4.
    With those controller you are done, you can add what you want like x1 f1 midifighter, machine, k2 ecc but as main controller they are great.
    That's very true..and knowing myself I wouldn't think twice about upgrading as well. How much do used S2's usually go for? I also saw videos and a thread about the Behringer CMD that will be coming out..should I wait for those set ups? They are quite affordable. The S2 is very attractive though..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast