Detroit Electronic Music Festival - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Looks fun, I wanted to go but couldn't convince anyone to spend the money to go with me and I wasn't about to fly to detroit by myself.
    Same here, actually.

BTW, to all going. Mr C plays Saturday 6-7:30 in the underground arena (https://www.facebook.com/mrcsuperfre...50814553542687). I don't know what else is going on then, but I highly recommend going if you like deep, dark, acidy, awesome, techy, housey, breaksy music played by a great DJ.

hey all, another local with some advice:

If you really want to the Detroit experience these are the three DJs you must see at the festival and luckily enough they're playing back to back to back on Monday.

Monday 3:30 -5:00 DJ Psycho: Member of Detroit Techno Militia and recent winner of a Detroit Music Award for best Hip Hop DJ. As to what he'll play, your guess is as good as mine. I used to throw parties with this guy a few years back and he can and will mix anything with a beat. The whole reason I spin half a dozen different styles is because he taught me that to be a good dj, you should be able to mix, full stop, and genre boundries are made to be broken. Honestly, I would not miss this set for anything in the world. He spun with DTM last year doing 5 DJs on 5 turntables, but this is the first time he's played the festival solo, so expect him to pull out all the stops. This guys been DJing for about 30 years now, he knows what he's doing.

5-6pm Brian Gillespie
    6-7pm DJ Godfather

Techno isn't the only style to be born in Detroit, we also have Ghetto Tech. If your familiar with Chicago Booty music or Baltimore Club music, its similar, but where Chicago's is House based and Baltimore takes its lead from Breaks, Ghetto Tech is heavily Electro oriented. These two guys are legends when it comes to Ghetto Tech and Detroit Electro. 90% of all the biggest Ghetto Tech records are by either Godfather or DJ Assault, and most of those were released on one of Brian Gillespie's labels. This will also be an opportunity to see Detroit's indigenous club dance "the jit".

some other tips: There is a movement/demf android and iphone app that has some cool features like custom schedules with reminders and a friend finder where you can mark your location if you lose your friends, which, trust me, will happen.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/276619065767495/ <===link to the app

if you're in town tomorrow, in the afternoon/early evening you can go down to Will Call and get your wristband early. lines are generally pretty rough saturday morning.

lastly, if you're looking for afterparties, this forum is a good bet http://www.detroitluv.com/index.php?board=98.0
    its not as active a board as it once was, but most stuff still gets posted there.

have fun

Thanks for the tips, DJ Psycho is definitely one I plan to check out, as well as Mr C. I'm doing a techno history bike tour Monday 1-3 so will head to Psycho right after that. Got the android app but my phone is shit so I expect the batteries to be dead by the time I need to use it. Exhausted right now but planning to go to The Works for the Some like it hot party in a bit.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Guru

I'm in grand rapids right now for the weekend and I almost thought of going over there but for the number of artists listed I hardly know them....i could do my research but im just to lazy. I was expecting to see hawtin on there too but it didn't happen.

The lineup is a little disappointing to me. Maybe I'm just not as into electronic music as i should be for this festival.

Or you're just expecting the mainstream divas to show up.

That lineup is kind of incredible. You could either think of it as being a bunch of second tier guys or as a bunch of guys more about the music than the success……who still manage–mostly–to make a life out of making/playing music. I'd love to be in Detroit this weekend.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Or you're just expecting the mainstream divas to show up.

That lineup is kind of incredible. You could either think of it as being a bunch of second tier guys or as a bunch of guys more about the music than the success……who still manage–mostly–to make a life out of making/playing music. I'd love to be in Detroit this weekend.
    Exactly!

Just got back to the hotel and getting ready for the dirty bird afterparty; so far the lineup has not disappointed a bit. Mr C was ridiculous! Thanks for that tip mostapha, I didn't realize he was in the shaman. I just about lost my shit when he dropped a Last Poets track (yes, *those* Last Poets) in the mix. Mike Huckaby was also just amazing. Also really dug Marcellus Pittman, Benoit & Sergio, Greg Wilson (was he seriously playing a reel to reel?!), and Roni Size was fun for about 20 minutes. And last night I caught Wattie Green and J Paul Getto among some other fun DJs at a pre-party. I can't even believe there's two more days of this....

Damnit I wish I could have gone to this

I hope you went djproben

CLR parties look sick, I'll probably have to wait for WMC next year for the next one unless they come to Miami any time sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Damnit I wish I could have gone to this

I hope you went djproben

CLR parties look sick, I'll probably have to wait for WMC next year for the next one unless they come to Miami any time sooner.

Can't see vimeo on my iPad so no idea what that is, but I'm having a blast. Exhausted though, gonna try to refuel so I can catch Juan Atkins in an hour. Follow djproben on instagram for random photos from the event. Not sure I'm going to make an afterparty tonight though I really want to catch Paul Johnson.

so far Maya Jane Coles and Mike Huckaby stole the show for me. The only disappointment for me so far was Carl Craig. That and i enjoyed watching Pirhanaman play with his Urei but he was so into the isolator that it didn't sound all that great.

Tech Guru

Jealous! Mike Huckaby is definitely on my must see list.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast