Detroit Electronic Music Festival - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

this makes me want to play with a 909

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Listened to the big name headliner, Jeff mills, for a little bit and got bored.
    I probably should have warned you, when Mills spins as "The Wizard" he's playing in the style of Detroit legend The Electrifying Mojo. I still like his Wizard sets, but they're VERY different from his straight techno sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    this makes me want to play with a 909

Technobox2 for your iPad. I think it's like $5 and totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Technobox2 for your iPad. I think it's like $5 and totally worth it.
    Lemme check that out now.

Also what mixer is he using in these vids?

edit:

this is fun, I like the sequencing. I've wanted to try a hardware linear step sequencer like a 909 or octactrack or something- makes the most sense to me even though maschine has a step sequencer it's not the same on a square grid with pads.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 05-29-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    i'm guessing he means hard techno, and not hardstyle... i could be wrong though.
    I'm sure I do - forgive my genre-ignorance; it was relentless whatever it was.

Quote Originally Posted by MWagner View Post
    I probably should have warned you, when Mills spins as "The Wizard" he's playing in the style of Detroit legend The Electrifying Mojo. I still like his Wizard sets, but they're VERY different from his straight techno sets.
    Honestly, had I known this, I would have given his set a much more generous listen and would probably even be here raving about how awesome he was. So much of how I experience a set probably depends on how I'm feeling at the moment about the artist, the situation, etc.; especially at a festival with a ridiculous number of great things going on all the time. By the time I saw Jeff Mills I was exhausted and probably in a hyper-critical mood. I went to the techno museum today at Submerge and met Mike Banks, who schooled me on the Electrifying Mojo. Also did some vinyl shopping, both there at Submerge and then at Detroit Threads, which is the most amazing collection of used electronic music I've seen in the US. Prices aren't super deals or anything; most used techno in decent shape was $6.50, but I've never seen so much of the stuff (except in Berlin), and it was endlessly categorized -- an entire section of tech house, a section for acid house, multiple crates for different kinds of techno, a separate Detroit section with a different section for each label. Wow. I only had an hour there and picked up some cool acid house, but I could easily have spent all day there.

One last update on the festival: on my flight home I shared a row with Mr. C. So I got to meet him and we chatted for a while before we both passed out; really nice guy, and quite passionate about what he does. And I had no idea he lives in LA; he's playing June 8 at Dim Mak studios, and I'll check it out if I'm not still too exhausted from DEMF.

It was a truly incredible weekend. Really glad I went; I had trepidation about going alone but I'm so glad I did it. The festival was definitely a different experience than doing it with friends - I knew a couple of people who were there too but not very well, and I ran into them occasionally and touched base but most of the time it was me wandering around alone and talking to random strangers, or just dancing my ass off. I was a lot more free to go to whatever I felt like, or leave when I wanted, but it was isolating at times. The Detroit locals I met were incredibly cool, and there's no question that city knows how to party. And on top of it I was fortunate enough to have some really epic moments.

Pretty sure I'll be going back to Detroit next year, and I'm even considering going to their jazz fest or their African World festival (though in 2013 rather than this year; I think I'm all festivaled out)...
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Nice.

And, yeah, Mr. C is an awesome guy. Did he have the Buddha statue in front of him while he was playing? (he doesn't do it all the time, but I've seen it in ATL and in pics of superfreq nights)

I think I'm just going to suck it up and go next year even if no one is coming with me. The thought of going by myself was a bit weird and off-putting, but I just realized that I was basically by myself in the actual festival at UMF because I had a press pass and my friends didn't. So, I probably should have just sucked it up. This whole week was kinda dead here.

Glad you had an awesome time.

Take any pictures?

Or you can put that loot towards your Virus you keep talking about

Yeah…that should happen before next summer.

Tech Mentor

Amazing weekend....waiting on the early bird tix for next year

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I think I'm just going to suck it up and go next year even if no one is coming with me. The thought of going by myself was a bit weird and off-putting, but I just realized that I was basically by myself in the actual festival at UMF because I had a press pass and my friends didn't. So, I probably should have just sucked it up. This whole week was kinda dead here.

Glad you had an awesome time.

Take any pictures?
    Yes pics and some video which I will find a place to post in the next few days hopefully. I got a few pics up on instagram (follow djproben to find them) but unfortunately instagram doesn't work well with normal computers, so you have to follow from a cellphone or whatever. But there's not that much; instagram pretty much sucks on my phone and I had to upload things several times; the pics I took with my camera will be better anyway.

And yeah, going it solo wasn't bad at all. People in the city were incredibly friendly so it wasn't lonely even going to eat alone or wandering the town, and everyone in the downtown area knows about the festival so it's not like there's no easy conversation starters.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast