Detroit Electronic Music Festival
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Detroit Electronic Music Festival

Is anyone going? Interesting lineup this year; I'm contemplating this but I've never been and don't know anyone going. Any info from someone who's been before on hotels and transportation to the venue would be much appreciated too...
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

This will be the third year I'm going. From the area so feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

First, if you know you're going -- book your hotel early. Like now. There are many hotels around Hart plaza where the festival will be at. The most desirable (and often expensive) hotels are right around the area within walking distance. If you have a group go in on a room it's a good deal and there are usually discounts for the festival. However, staying at a hotel room a bit further out, for cheaper or if it's your only option is still a good option.

Parking immediately around hart plaza is difficult -- it's a really busy area. However, you can usually find parking some place down town. I didn't pay for parking at all the past two years, so long as you spend a little time looking for street parking and don't mind the walk.

The festival is great, but also look into the afterparties. There's a lot of good ones each year put on by different production companies and are well worth going to.

im going haha hotels wont be a problem for me cuz ill be living pretty much 10 min from DT Detroit ;P if you see a guy with gloves doing lightshows thatll hopefully be me X)

I'm seriously considering it. I need to get on deciding whether or not to go. How bad are food/drink prices?

At the festival usually things aren't too bad. I ate sparingly inside the festival, believe I had some bbq sandwich around 5-6$ so not too bad, though drinks are as expensive as they typically are at sporting events... 3$ waters, 7$ beers, 5$ energy drinks or something... Outside of the festival, in the area things are fairly priced. 3-4$ for cheaper beer at clubs/bars, food priced average... it's Detroit after all, so you can find a lot of cheap places to eat if you look around and avoid some of the downtown chains.

DEMF is great... it's became one of my favorite festivals to go to. The whole atmosphere, vibe and image of being in downtown Detroit and partying next to the river has been quite memorable.

Tech Wizard

Ya dude, go if you can. DEMF is one of my favorites events to go to, try and get a hotel ASAP cuz they fill up quick. The lineups are always solid and like Spiz said, the vibe is great, kinda an old school feeling to it if you get my drift. Good times!

Tech Mentor

I would love to go, but the last time I went tickets were free! Now they're getting more and more expensive every year
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

Quote Originally Posted by spiz View Post
    drinks are as expensive as they typically are at sporting events... 3$ waters, 7$ beers, 5$ energy drinks or something.
    Uhh…IIRC the last time I went to UMF, water, red bull, and heineken all started at like 8 or 10 bucks.

The only reason we didn't die of dehydration was because I was abusing my press pass to steal backstage water for my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by spiz View Post
    DEMF is great... it's became one of my favorite festivals to go to. The whole atmosphere, vibe and image of being in downtown Detroit and partying next to the river has been quite memorable.
    The lineup looks weird. A few people I was hoping would be on it (zabiela, hawtin, etc.) didn't seem to be there. But it'd almost be worth the trip just for Mr. C and Jeff Mills IMHO……and I know a lot of the names I don't recognize are probably awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Connekted View Post
    the vibe is great, kinda an old school feeling to it if you get my drift.
    That's exactly what I'd be hoping for. I just need to see if I actually have the money (and whether any of my friends want to go…not driving all the way to detroit by myself) that isn't being spent on other things.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Uhh…IIRC the last time I went to UMF, water, red bull, and heineken all started at like 8 or 10 bucks.

The only reason we didn't die of dehydration was because I was abusing my press pass to steal backstage water for my friends.
    Then you'll find the prices here much more better. I'm not exact, but bottled water was 4$. You could bring in empty bottles/camelbacks or refill bottles in the bathrooms. Redbull is usually like 4-5$, I believe they usually sponsor it so might have something to do with the price. Bud light/miller light drafts are 7-8$. So not too bad if you were expecting ~10$ waters.

It seems like afterparties are starting to come out... Anyone hear of any good ones yet? Looks like a decent list started here : http://www.blakeandrewmusic.com/blog...-afterparties/

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    The lineup looks weird. A few people I was hoping would be on it (zabiela, hawtin, etc.) didn't seem to be there. But it'd almost be worth the trip just for Mr. C and Jeff Mills IMHO……and I know a lot of the names I don't recognize are probably awesome.
    DEMF has always leaned ore towards the deep/techno/underground side of things from my few years of going and following it. If you're not really sure who to check out here's my personal suggestion on who I would go there to see myself.

Seth Troxler back to back with Guy Gerber could possibly be the highlight of the weekend in my opinion. Two guys who are on top of their game and who would compliment each other very well. Regardless of if you're into house, techno, tech house, deep house and so on this is one everyone should go see. Should be mind blowing, plus your dancing shoes will get a good work out.

If you're into the DC10/Circoloco scene there's plenty to choose from. Davide Squillace is an obvious choice. Deep, drugged out organic techno at its best. His set with Matthias Tannzeman at WMC was ace so I don't see him slowing down any time soon. Tales of Us and Beniot & Sergio are also an excellent choice. Still a drugged out deep house affair, but a lot more hooks and lyrics if that's what you're looking for. Regardless, both of them are worth checking out (even more so if they are live PA's). And then you have Loco Dice. The man should need no introduction at this point. One the original "ambassadors" for DC10/Circoloco from all those years ago who is still going strong. Can't say enough good things about him, if you're digging what everyone else is doing this is a no brainer.

BUT, if you're more into that new deep house sound at the moment, there's plenty on tap to see. Obviously on the main driving forces behind this "movement" (no pun intended ), Damian Lazarus should be on your list of acts to see. He's the man behind Crosstown Rebels and is mainly responsible for catapulting Mace Plex to where he is at the moment. The man has vision and is always one step ahead of the game, so if you want to take a peek into the future then stop by and check him out. And then you have the reigning DJ of the year (according to RA at least), Jamie Jones and label partner Lee Foss performing as Hot Natured. Should be a sexy, bouncey, gritty affair with enough funk to keep those hips moving and the girls dancing. There's a reason these guys and their label is one of the hottest at the moment, no reason not to at least see what the hype is all about. Also on the line up is young gun Danny Daze. He showed he wasn't a one trick pony after his hit You're My Everything by immediately following it up with If This. This kid is the real deal and is a shinning example of the new deep house sound. Haven't seen him live yet, but all his mixes I've heard are well balanced and always keep your toes tapping. And then the big gun at the moment, Maceo Plex. This guy has been the hottest DJ/Producer/Artist over the past 12-18 months. And he's still delivering the goods. If you somehow have missed out on him, you definitely need to check him out. Hands down one of the must see shows of the weekend IF you haven't seen him before.

There's plenty more to mention on that list, Radio Slave, Nina Kraviz, Carlo Lio and Carl Craig all getting honourable mentions, but the above acts are really making waves and seems to be the next generation of the underground. And for that reason you owe to yourself to see what's happening and check them out.

2cents.jpg

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast