Mixing in the right key/Ableton

Default Mixing in the right key/Ableton

im just curious on how you guys and most famous people like mord fustang, madeon, etc mix samples into their songs that sound good and are on key. I understand hearing it out and i can do that, it just takes so much time. Is there an easier way to quickly find a song to sample thats in key with the song u are working on?

Mixed in Key or Beatunes can analyse a track and give you it's key (with reasonable accuracy), and eventually your ears will do it for you.

You don't have to be a slave to keymatched mixing mind you
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Yeah i mean i never have done a keymatched song like that, but the style is cool.

You don't really explain what you're asking, at least in a way that your question is easily digested.

If you are talking about an individual song, the producer can repitch the sample. It's a basic function in DAWs. Songs sound more pleasing when the entire song is in the same key -- or the key can change but all other instrumentation needs to be changed to match the new pitch or else it will sound bad. For producing though, I think you will find that when making the song, almost everything is matched to a certain pitch.

When DJ'ing, you can use keys of your songs... or not. Most analyzing software is just using an algorithm to guess at the key. Additionally, just keying your songs isn't entirely useful, many different keys contain the same notes so certain chords(keys) will work better than others.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I just use transpose in Ableton while cueing and my ears .. works every time,

Course you can use the likes of mixed in key or key finder and group your tracks into ones that "should" work during your prep.

Curse you Ableton, I'm Still waiting on the Cents field to be mappable!

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I just use transpose in Ableton while cueing and my ears .. works every time
    Absolutely. I did the same thing on Live and Traktor. Way faster and more reliable than any key detection software…if your ears don't suck. Sounds pretty good too, all things considered.

I almost miss that feature on SSL now, but I find that I usually forget to turn key lock on and just mix like it was vinyl. I miss it, but not enough to fuss over.