First Club Gig Tomorrow! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by Nontablist View Post
    make a small recorded introduction to your set...

helps with anxiety and reduce the posibilities for mistakes in the first minutes of mixing and get people hype without stressing the first minutes...
    This is a great idea, especially for your first time. This will help you start out loose and stay loose, which is key. Your audience can sense your confidence or lack thereof, and if they can see that you are flowing with the music and that you have high energy, the chances of them enjoying your music are greatly increased.

The other thing is, play music you enjoy and feel, because not doing this is a quick way to become burnt out. And people respond to a DJ (especially if they can see you and you're not tucked back in a booth) that enjoys his music.

Good luck, mate.

Tech Wizard

http://www.mixcloud.com/octaviolarra...et-rehearsals/

Check the first minutes of this... monotron intro to freaq girl... Thats the introduction I use to start my gigs... Of course its a rehearsal and i get lost at the middle but well rehearsal time its for that...

Be nice to the waitresses.

...and for god's sake...HAVE FUN!

play your shots strategically.... identify your go-to tracks.

and bring extra cables.

definitely gotta have a go to song that will always bring the crowd back to life if things start to go south. if you aren't headlining do not play every banger out right now or the headliner will have nothing to play. know your roll in lineup is what i'm trying to say i guess

Tech Mentor

I'll be the only DJ tonight. My time slot is 10-2, I figure I'll poke around for the first hour or so, play a few different styles. Around midnight I'll move into deep house, house, and electro if things start going south.

Again many thanks for the input guys. keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by bisco View Post
    I'll be the only DJ tonight. My time slot is 10-2, I figure I'll poke around for the first hour or so, play a few different styles. Around midnight I'll move into deep house, house, and electro if things start going south.

Again many thanks for the input guys. keep it coming.
    Good luck man. Go forth and kill it. Give us an after report.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

I know its last minute but bring friends! having familar faces who will support you either way is great! really helps.
    Plus theyll always dance for you, and it looks good to the promoter that you can bring in people to come see your shows.

Tech Mentor

1mco: For Sure! I'm working on getting a crew together and its looking like maybe 10 of my homies are gonna be there.

DJ ATX: thanks breh! I'm getting ready to hop on the ferry ( i live on a island now), its about a 2hr drive, going to the club for a patio beer and look things over. I'll report back.

Again this is why i love this site, much respect and thanks!

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by bisco View Post
    going to the club for a patio beer
    take it or leave it, but I would suggest staying as sober as possible for your first gig there.
    This ensures that you have a clear head to be your best and impress your promoter.

(but on the flip side, I have a friend who is a better dj when he's at least tipsy! So....it's really up to your judgment)

Good luck!

Tech Wizard

Hey dude, my one tip is if the crowd is not responding, just PLAY WHAT YOU LOVE!! There's nothing that makes people want to dance more than seeing the DJ wide eyed and smiling ear to ear as he air humps the decks and messes with a filter. Enjoy yourself, you'll do great. Best of luck dude. I'm so jealous. Maybe we can trade; you can do my homework and I can play out? Just consider it, its only an English essay!
    "My friend's cat's hairdresser's botanist told me so." -Newg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast