First Club Gig Tomorrow!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default First Club Gig Tomorrow!

So I finally got a club gig!

I've done a few house parties and played a few bars.
    After a few months one of the 3 big clubs where I live (pop. 75 000) contacted me about DJing for the next 3 Thursdays as a trail.
    The promoter said he really liked my mixes.
    I'm super stoked to say the least, I've been waiting for this chance for a while now so I dont want to blow it.

I'm look for some advice and things to look out for.

Thanks in advance guys

Tech Wizard

Just keep your cool, acting over excited might freak the promoter out a bit. Always act grateful for the opportunity and let him know how much you appreciate the chance. The little things like being polite, and thanking him will go a long way.

Keep your eye on the crowd, and watch for any dips in the number of people dancing. Was it your song choice? Are you keeping them entertained?

I wouldnt stress, take it easy and always ensure you have some tracks in the bank for an emergency if you need to pull back the crowd. IF you're playing unknown stuff or lesser known stuff just ensure you always try follow up with a more recognisable tune to keep them into it. It may not apply depending on what style you are playing.
    Like my page on facebook: JERC

Follow me on Soundcloud: JERC Music

Follow me on Twitter: JERCmusic

Tech Wizard

make a small recorded introduction to your set...

helps with anxiety and reduce the posibilities for mistakes in the first minutes of mixing and get people hype without stressing the first minutes...

as an example vitalic uses a song called polkamatic wich is a polka that turns into a super dope electro half beat house tune...

Quote Originally Posted by JERC OFFICIAL View Post
    always ensure you have some tracks in the bank for an emergency if you need to pull back the crowd.

I totally agree, this is probably going to be your best advice. Aside from relaxing and just having fun. If you are having fun the crowd can feel that vibe and will have fun too. Use the first hour to poke and prod the crowd to see what they like music-wise. Don't play a pre planned set. That may not work with the crowd that night. Just flow with the crowd.

I would also like to add, that don't let requests fluster ya. Work em in if you can. Some people can be total pricks and keep coming back if you did not play their song next. Remember you control the programming. You can say no, if you are not comfortable with that, tell em you don't have it and give them another song that may be similar that you can throw in. You will find that after your 3rd or 4th night at the club, you will get to know what the crowd likes and you well get lesser and lesser request. Or you can be "that" DJ that don't take request.

Congrats and welcome to club DJing. Have fun with it.
    Last edited by DJ ATX; 04-18-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Tech Mentor

Awesome! thanks guys this is what I was looking for.

Nontablist: thanks for the idea, I'm gonna use it.

Tech Mentor

Have you been going to the club regularly. It helps if you know what music is generally played in the club. Do you know type of crowd the club draws. All this will help you in determining what type of vibe to set. Also look up articles on opening headlining and closing sets. This will help in determining how you set your vibe.

Show up early and scope out the club what are the DJ's playing how the crowd is reacting take it all in so that when you get into the booth you will also have and idea of what to offer.

Be nice to requesters what I try to do is have a little list they can write on so i could see if I could work the song in when I get to it.

Use the sync button.

Tech Mentor

^ +1
    I almost forgot about that.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bisco View Post
    Awesome! thanks guys this is what I was looking for.

Nontablist: thanks for the idea, I'm gonna use it.
    Always works... and of course its always good to get a little bit nervous at the begining... means youre still loving your work!!!

Tech Wizard

Also about request... I Have rules...

1.- If you want something... be polite...

2.- Ask for something adequate to the situation (Slipknot song during a electro house set its a BIG NO NO!!!)

3.- I dont take requests from really drunk people, basicly because they are not in the correct mood to ask for something.

4.- If you dont know the song dont ask for it.

5.- Never touch my gear while your doing a request... or I will kill you!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast