First Club Gig Tomorrow! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

So how did it go Bisco??
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Tech Wizard

congrats man! Im just now getting some interest in my mixes, im going through the (cant wait to make people move on a dance floor) faze now. Good luck!

Tech Mentor

I've been super busy with work this past week and totally forgot to give ya'll a report.

So...it went really well, I showed up at 7 to sound check and I'm glad I did. Had a little problem getting sound out as there was no tech's there but we nailed it!

The club wasn't super packed but defiantly a fair size crowd. I did play two request one being MGMT, Kids and Beastie Boys, Sabotage (sebastiean remix).

I went out for a smoke early in the night before the crowds came, I get back in and this drunk chick was like " I was looking through your play list I hope you don't mind" I was fucking pissed! She then had the nerve to ask me for a request, I said no. Then later on in the night she kept coming up to the booth trying to ask me for "her song". Luckily one of my friends told her to beat it.

Other then that I had tons of fun and the promoter wants me back! I wont be able to do the next 2 Thursdays due to work but he understands completely and wants me back in the months to come!

What I learnt:
    Never leave the booth or if you do have a friend there to keep shit on lock.
    Show up early! I took almost a hour to figure out the sound.
    Be open to request (to an extent)

Other then that thanks guys, I got paid!
    Last edited by bisco; 04-25-2012 at 05:43 PM.

yay! congrats man, wish you the best of luck in your future gigs

Never leave the booth ! have a mate or even get a bouncer to stay by/ in the booth, you never know what oppurtunist might come along and just nab your laptop !

Quote Originally Posted by bisco View Post
    What I learnt:
    Never leave the booth or if you do have a friend there to keep shit on lock.
    Show up early! I took almost a hour to figure out the sound.
    Be open to request (to an extent)
    Good lessons to learn.

Sound problems are the pits. Most clubs will blame it on your equipment. Unless its their own equipment, then they will blame it on your sound card or laptop connection.

Request is a balance. You want to keep everyone happy, but not ruin it for everybody. I always go with, first "let me see if I can work that in" or "I don't have that one" and suggest something close. Next is just saying no. Looks like you read the crowd pretty well though. I find that the better I read the crowd the less request I get.

Want to share something the guy that taught me to DJ told me. Never be rattled if you clear the dance floor. But always know of a way to bring people back. Thinning or clearing the floor for short periods of time, gives the bar a chance to make money. That advice has served me well. Bartender work on tips. You line their pocket and they will talk to management to keep you. That goes a long way. Specially when bar sales are good. That can play a great part in holding down a residency for an extended period. Getting bodies in the door is great, but if they are not buying drinks, the club is losing money cause they have to pay staff, electric, DJ, and liqour that is not moving.

Rotating the floor can also achieve this, although this may work better in an open format club. If you are playing Dance/Top40, you may want to switch it up the next hour and play hiphop. HipHop crowd can dance and Top40 crowd can go get a drink.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123