If you use sync to have more creative time
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default If you use sync to have more creative time

Can you post a recording of one of your sets? I read the post where someone mentioned Roger Sanchez's set with 4 decks on CD's --- i think his set posted on the pioneer youtube page is awesome as well as creative, but I keep reading where guys say that they use sync because it gives them more time to do other things like effects, or it gives them 30 more seconds to concentrate on being creative.

This is NOT a debate on whether to sync or not, and it's not bashing sync users --- I'm very curious to hear what you guys do with the extra time. Me personally I find my interaction with the music, and with the correct hardware, bring out my creativity more than extra time does --- but being that this is forum to share thoughts and ideas I'd love to hear what you guys are doing with the extra time.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

I usually use the time to check email... I am after all using a laptop.

Seriously..

Having been playing gigs since 1983/1984-ish, mixing is not very difficult for me anymore, and frankly using sync is more about just being tired of potential mishaps like someone bumping the tables, being distracted, and wanting to try something "new".

Having said that... I too am curious to know how this has changed a DJ's workflow (better or worse).

I CAN tell you this however.... using sync has allowed me to vibe with the music more (yes, oddly enough... more than when I was matching beats). I never thought that the actual act of "mixing" was all there was to it. I maintain that track selection and overall programming is still key... look at The 45 King.... no mixing, just cuts... and he rocks the house every time. I won't forget how to mix... especially if I'm doing it on 12's, I compare it to the whole digital vinyl thing... do I really want to lug 4 crates of records to a gig? not really... so flame me for using DVS. As for controllers, do I really want to keep buying new styli when they wear out? not really. I know I'll run into the DJs that are such purists... more power to 'em.

<use caveman voice> "I push button, songs match perfect....rock da house!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
    I never thought that the actual act of "mixing" was all there was to it. I maintain that track selection and overall programming is still key...
    Good post and excellent point made which is often omitted in the whole dreadful sync-button debate. While I agree with haze and think the whole argument "blablabla more time to be creative" is crappy at best - creative...shmeative....well, lets phrase it a bit differently: I loathe this particular argument because people often use it to refer to the abysmal overusage of effects they are aiming for. And for one do I think that this is not particularly creative in the first place and even if it was: doing something differently just for the sake of doing it differently (or "being creative" - oh, how I hate this word) is the wrong approach and it's easy to lose track of the big picture in the meantime.

I use sync and spend the "time saved" to figure out the best follow-up track. Sometimes I'm quick about it, sometimes I ain't (and those are the times when the time saved comes in very handy). If I find the right track quickly, I can add in a percussion loop a bit earlier than necessary and then lay off for a bit and concentrate on the other important things: dancing, getting a beer, silently flirting with the girl in the front row, rolling a joint, going for a quick toilet break, or whatever else....
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Mentor

I dont often use sync...but i do like having it there...there has been numerous times when i have been distracted(looking at the hottie in the front row...some random dude wants to talk to me, telling the retarded drunk girl that i will not be playing Jonas brothers etc.) That sync has saved me from when i need to drop that new track into my mix and its 4 beats away to hit sync set up my cue and off i go.

As for the whole it lets me be more "creative" i think a lot of DJs that say this dont actually be more creative and they just use that saying as a crutch.

I have many different genres that i like to spin depending on venue and time slot. When i am doing more House, Funky house and music that isnt often that complex, i will have up to 3 sometimes 4 decks going...and i really take advantage of the sync...its retarded to try and beat match 4 decks at once...although i give massive props to the DJs that do use 4 cdjs..you guys are nuts.

Now do i have all 4 decks full blast with all the Eqs at 12...hell no...if you take a look at my mixer section with 4 decks its all over the place...grabbing highs from 1, the mids from another and the low from another, while continously swapping mids and highs lows at the right time to keep it fresh.

At the same time i will be using my Midifighter for effects to create additional aptmosphere, using Delays and reverbs etc on certian decks during buildups etc then swapping basslines or mids or whatever at the drop.
    Kontrol S4-Novation Launch Pad-MF Pro BM-Traktor Pro 2-KRKRP8/KRK10-Windows 7 64 Bit-Toshiba A660

I dont care if you use 2 ipads...2 cassette tapes...or a washboard and a wooden spoon...if you rock it, you rock it.

If you know how to beatmatch well, you will have all the time you want. Unless you are putting on megamixes live at every gig you do....
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Not really - you still have to keep the tunes matched. It's never just a case of getting them sync'd and leaving 'em - they will (WILL!) drift, and you have to correct that drift manually.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Not really - you still have to keep the tunes matched. It's never just a case of getting them sync'd and leaving 'em - they will (WILL!) drift, and you have to correct that drift manually.
    They will only drift if u are using turntables...if u use timecode with CDJs or if u sync with a controller there is no drift
    Kontrol S4-Novation Launch Pad-MF Pro BM-Traktor Pro 2-KRKRP8/KRK10-Windows 7 64 Bit-Toshiba A660

I dont care if you use 2 ipads...2 cassette tapes...or a washboard and a wooden spoon...if you rock it, you rock it.

unlike this...

DJs spinning is not "the show". 9/10 times, I go to a club and don't even see the DJ, let alone know if he's matching beats old school or using a button... i don't care. I will however look up if the beats aren't matching.

Tech Mentor

^ +1

Have to agree with this...I dont care if the music sounds good...cuz its suppose to...however i do care if it sounds like shit

depends on the club, if you are center stage, or are the highlight, then you are being watched.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast