Are CDJs here to stay? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Club standars are dying.

Tech Wizard

personally think clubs will keep the CDJs in, but i think in time they will add a dj controller somewhere down the line, so djs can just take there hd/usb and plug it right in

- physical distribution media such as CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray are dying/going to die
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by kamjongill View Post
    idk about that...what makes you say that??
    Truthfully, the cost saving mostly...in the 80's and 90's a lot of clubs and bars had house drum kits and amps for musicians and that went out the door...I see the same thing coming for DJs...just the sound system and maybe a mixer...

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    - physical distribution media such as CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray are dying/going to die
    This.

In 10 years there may be something that looks like a CDJ in the booth, but it probably wont be a CDJ.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by MFilthy View Post
    I see clubs going the route of just having the sound system in place and making it the responsibility of the DJ to bring their equipment...
    Absolutely not...this isn't going to happen, just like it hasn't happened in decades and decades of night clubs being open.

The more I think about it, the more I can't believe you even think that - you are too much man, toooooooo much.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    In 10 years there may be something that looks like a CDJ in the booth, but it probably wont be a CDJ.
    This is what i I was trying to say, but far more succinct haha.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJ-oriented media players will always be in booths. CDJs are currently the most inclusive (CDs, USB drives, and HID) and something like them will be for basically ever, though the details will change.

Controllers will never be a club standard. Some places might start building bigger desks to accommodate them, probably with XLR cables going straight into an FOH mixer. But that won't replace what's there now.

I'd love to see a CDJ with a USB port for thumb sticks and an input for control vinyl, but I doubt anyone cares enough to actually do it. Or just build it all into a vinyl turntable. Kinda like what gemini tried to do with the cdt-05. That thing failed because it was Gemini and didn't use CV to control the cd signal, not because it was a bad idea.

Tech Mentor

Originally Posted by MFilthy
    I see clubs going the route of just having the sound system in place and making it the responsibility of the DJ to bring their equipment...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    Absolutely not...this isn't going to happen, just like it hasn't happened in decades and decades of night clubs being open.

The more I think about it, the more I can't believe you even think that - you are too much man, toooooooo much.
    It didn't happen in decades because there wasn't a choice. Technology is moving faster. The more and more DJs that go into a club and want to play on their own set up will tell the club owners that they don't have to spend and maintain anything more than a sound system to plug into. Ithink some clubs will always have a system there that a DJ can choose to use if the wanted to do so and some clubs will just have a line going into a soundboard for the DJ to plug in their own gear. I think eventually there will be a controller with a usb port, soundcard, and a bigger screen that acts just like a CDJ minus the actual CDJ that you can use the bundled software or plug into your laptop. Its the next step.

I don't think it's the next step. Controllers in general–not just controllerism–make up a very small segment of the professional (as in…playing in clubs) DJ community. It's really easy to get a skewed view when you spend time on DJTT, but CDJs absolutely dominate what people actually play with in the real world.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast