Best needles for DVS and Vinyl?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Best needles for DVS and Vinyl?

I play both traktor timecode and music on vinyl whats the best needles? Just mixing & I spin House

what are my options
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Most people here will recommend the Shure m44-7 as the best all round needles for DJ'ing, personally I prefer concorde style carts but thats purely for aesthetics. Since they are only used for transport controls with DVS, the quality of the needle's is only really relevant when it comes to prone they are to skipping.

Tech Guru

There is no difference between needles for vinyl and needles for DVS.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Tech Wizard

i just got a pair of Concorde Scratch's for my STR8-150s.. F-ING Beautiful!!! and from what i have noticed when in Absolute mode in TSP2, there is no jumping that i used to occasionally get with the standard Stanton 680 cartridge...

I use the Ortofon Concorde Elektro's, which I find are great for both vinyl and DVS.

People have different preferences though, but I like the Concorde style myself as well. +the white looks damned sharp
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

When I was spinning vinyl, I always like Shure Whitelabels or Shure M-44gs. M-447s are good, but they're really high output and can clip some mixer inputs (or just run hot with the gains all the way down)…and they're a little bassy and almost muddy compared to the WHLB and 44g.

If you don't want to spend that, the Shure SC35C are supposedly very close to the Whitelabels electronically (and the same styli) if you're cool with headshells an don't want to spend the money on WHLB styli, they sound awesome.

I was never a fan of Ortofon, but I've also never seen an Ortofon Concorde that wasn't either on display in a store or broken. And their styli were more expensive the last time I was comparing prices……might not be the same now.

FWIW, I'm using 447s now for normal vinyl and CV, and apart from them being really loud, I like them. Weight around 2.5g and they just don't skip.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djlotus View Post
    There is no difference between needles for vinyl and needles for DVS.
    Ehh their kinda is. DVS you don't need to worry about sound quality/coloring, and can focus more on tracking and record wear.

Tech Guru

You should always worry about those things. That's why certain manufacturers build their reputation. There are always stylus' with a higher overall gain.

You shouldn't sacrifice quality because of the output signal of vinyl. The cartridge/needle debate doesn't need fuel for a fire which does not exist.

Time code pressed on vinyl will effect your needles the EXACT same as choons pressed on vinyl.

This isn't a vinyl VS controller debate and shouldn't be turned into one. If you want to pay an extra $50 per needle to get one "for" Serato, then you don't deserve your money.

The way the time code sends signal to software has no more an impact on your needle or audio quality than regular audio signals do.

Don't believe the hype. In an age where
    technology rules, analog principles are the only constant.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

djlotus - I think what people are trying to say is that it doesn't matter that much if you overweight your carts when using a DVS, as you can just buy another TC vinyl when it wears out, whereas is you wear your 'real' vinyl out like that, it might not be available again.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Most people here (at least the ones that post often) use the shure 44-7s or Ortofons. I've got the shure white labels, and love them. I've been using the same needles for almost a year, and they sound just as good as if they were new. Supposedly they have exceptional tracking on timecode, but I haven't used anything other than old stanton scratch carts, so I can't really compare. Plus the whitelabels look so hype.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast