Active speakers or passive with an amp? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

+1 on passive over active speakers.... thou i am pretty sure from what you have said in post's you just need a good pair of active studio speakers to mix on at your house they will give you good sound to money.

If you are look at playing to a group of people +20 or in a large room more than once a month then save your money and get good PA speakers. If not get smaller speaker you can happy with, rent a PA for bigger nights and recoup on the door. You can get a rented 15k bar nine rig in UK with engineers for £400 a night.
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Considering some krk rokits, then saving up for some mackie thump 15's so I've got both angles covered

Tech Mentor

Yeah I have those speakers you linked OP, and I wouldn't recommend for anything EDM... The bass just dissapears and sounds like shit... which is why I'm looking for a good sub myself to add... Sorry for derailing the thread abit but might aswell ask here... if I want to add a subwoover (active) how would I go about setting that up? I have a DJM 400 and I have no outputs left. So can I just use the line out from one of my speakers or what?

Both the Mackie Thumps and JBL Eons are decent.

I'd go active as is easier to just plug in and play
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

thats what im thinking about actives. put them down, plug into the wall and one cable each into the mixer and press play

found the alesis M1 520's nice and cheap. whats the difference between usb and non usb versions? all i can see is that the non usb have 2 power plugs and you plug each channel individually?

Tech Guru

Woah output to sub and then out from sub to tops or buy an active xover preferably with built in limiter. I also have one of these in my rack which gives loads of options re signal path. Don't always use it as it's not top quality but it's there if I need it
    http://www.rocklounge.co.uk/acatalog...tion_Unit.html
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Tech Mentor

I wrote a rather large article on PA systems awhile back and how to build and run one. Search is your friend here
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sunshine View Post
    Search is your friend here
    It might be a friend, but on most forums, it's that friend who's super annoying, gives you a too much info when you ask a question, and may not have ever worked in his/her life.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast