Active speakers or passive with an amp? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Wish I had more money to spare if only I could get some speakers at a bargain like I did my controller! I know I'm using an S4 but I'm on a mixtrack budget really lol!

Tech Guru

Passive amp matching and tops is a doddle. Match your power to the tops and you can't go wrong. You will get a bargin on ebay if you do your homework as everyone wants actives these days. I have owned a few different active and passive set up's and actives are far less hassle but you can achieve a far better sound cheaper with a passive set up. It's also far cheaper fixing your PA if something goes wrong with passive. Dead easy to attatch everything. I'd look for a cheap active xover and use the outs for this. You could also use the Xover built into a sub then out to the tops but this lacks flexibility. Another option is to run your tops full range and take another signal to the sub independantly.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Can you only run a sub if you've got an amp? I'm confused about how to add it

Tech Guru

Passive sub will need an amp but a powerful enough amp could run both your sub and tops. Active sub powers itself. You would be better picking up 2 smaller amps and have one dedicated for sub, one for tops. Keep them in a rack with possibly a xover and eq and your set up is done once routed properly. It's all just one big hifi and makes sense given a bit of thought.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Tech Guru

I have a DB active i'm thinking of selling. 400w and after £160 if you're interested. I'm in the Toon.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Kem View Post
    Passive sub will need an amp but a powerful enough amp could run both your sub and tops. Active sub powers itself. You would be better picking up 2 smaller amps and have one dedicated for sub, one for tops. Keep them in a rack with possibly a xover and eq and your set up is done once routed properly. It's all just one big hifi and makes sense given a bit of thought.
    I've always had big systems in my cars, 2 amps components and subs etc but that's using headunits with multiple output channels. My s4 just has the trs or RCA so how would I plug into multiple amps?
    What's a db active? An amp?

It's already been said, but I can't stress enough how important it is to properly invest in a good rig. ESPECIALLY if you want to start doing mobile stuff. You can go the cheap route, but in the long run, you end up spending the same money you would on quality gear due to maintenance as someone else already pointed out. If you really are serious about it, SAVE SAVE SAVE. As far as sound systems go, while they have gotten a little more affordable, they seem to be the last bastion of DJ gear that separates those who want from those who REALLY want.

Tech Guru

Loads of ways to do it. Signal to desk, rack mixer, external mixer, patch bay etc etc. A PA set up requires thought and what's right for you. Have a think before you dive in. As sobi says you need good, reliable gear otherwise you will be disappointed with the sound and your punters will be when your gear blows mid gig. DB make gear and are reasonably good for the price (again a cheaper RCF). It's an active sub I have spare currently 15" 400w. For subs you should be looking at 15" minimum with 18" ideally.

oh... went on a tangent and forgot to try and give some input. the best 3 you can get are Mackie, JBL, and QSC, with quality in that order.
    Mackie used to be tops, but 5-10 years ago, they moved their manufacturing out of the USA and quality dropped dramatically. That has never come back, and while they are better than the low end stuff (behringer, B-52, etc), I don't think they hold up to the other companies in quality or reliability.
    JBL is a very reputable brand, have good reliability and quality is good too. Realisticly, you can't go wrong with this brand.
    QSC... ask anyone with a bit of knowlege and experience in sound, and this is pretty much the best active speaker brand you can currently get. Their build quality and sound quality really are second to none. Top this off with a ridiculous warranty that speaks on their confidence in their own product, and it's a no brainer. Granted, you definitely pay for it, but WELL worth it in the end.

oh rcf too, but I'm not really familiar with the brand. I think that might be a little more prevalent in Europe.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast