Controllerist prejudice?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Controllerist prejudice?

So, I was on my way to my gig last night in the city when I ran into a bar manager/kinda sorta friend on the way. A little background on our relationship; I had worked with Deion at another bar he was a manager for, I was cool w/ him, he would call me if he needed anything, he ended up leaving that bar for a bigger and better opportunity at another bar.

Anyways a few months back he had hit me up, telling me about how he needed to re-vamp his Saturday nights and he needed new DJ's, bartenders, etc.. So he asked me if I could do his Saturday nights, but I told him I already have my Saturday nights booked. So when I saw Deion last night I asked him how the new night is going, he told me he was having a real problem finding competent DJ's.

He needs at least 2 DJ's a night (2 different floors), and he told me he's basically been bringing in guys on a 2 week trial basis and after that he would make his decision on his final line-up. The place is basically like a club, but without a dress code BTW. He was saying some of the guys arent even making it past the 1st week.

Anyways, on to the point of the story; Deion told me that he and his Assist. manager came to the conclusion that if the DJ uses a controller they arent even going to book them anymore. So I asked him why that was, and he told me that at 1st he didnt care, in fact he remembers I used to bring in a controller to his old spot every once in awhile, but after awhile he noticed that the controller DJ's were the ones he had the most problems with (clipping, crashes/sound drop outs, "weird" music selection, basic noob stuff I guess).

So he was saying that it might be stereotyping, but that he has a night to run, and he cant afford to have another unqualified DJ ruin a night, so if a DJ says they use a controller it's a red flag I guess.

I think it kinda sucks, but I understand where he's coming from. I do agree that most new DJ's do use MIDI controllers. What do you guys think?????

Last edited by DigitalDevil; 04-22-2012 at 10:01 AM.

I mean if you look at it from a owner standpoint - He doesn't want people to mess up, but the thing is only "sometimes" do they crash and it depends on few things like what your running, tempature.

this have nothing to do with people using controllers.

he just needs to stop booking shit dj's.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    I think you've been here long enough to have seen this thread before.
    Usually the prejudice is that you're arent a real DJ if you don't use CDJ's/TT's and if you use SYNC and bla bla bla. This is a little different. This guy is talking about trying to keep out newer uncompotent DJ's.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    I had worked with Deion at another bar he was a manager for
    Name drop... is there a Deion in the house?
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Tech Mentor
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Why is the guy correct ? I'll explain you, trying not to be harsh.

If you want to find out why something's wrong, check these 3 factors : power, sex, money.
    In this case, it's all about money.

Controllers are cheap, and it's a nice way to get into DJing with. Almost anyone can pop $400 and get an S2 and say "I'm a DJ". I can totally understand not anyone can get CDJs and stuff, but the "low-cost" DJing is the reason of the hate. I have mixed feelings about this, but in a way I support this.

Before, because equipement was expensive, you had to really be into the thing you know. Gear was a serious investement, you thought about it for a long time, and one you decided to buy your stuff, you really wanted to be good, because of the money you spent.

Now, any kid can get a shitty controller, a pirated DJing software, and download youtube rips. And they are polluating the industry with their flanger-based sets.

Just look at this forum. S2 mega-sale, super cheap. Result ? For few months now the number of repetitive threads about first gig, headphones, etc has increased alot. It's sad, because accessible DJ gear allowed loads of talent to prove what they were capable of, but I wish DJ gear stayed expensive. Money was a pre-selection, sorting all the wanabees that just want to act cool by being the DJ.

My 20 bucks (cause 2 cents is too cheap)

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    Why is the guy correct ? I'll explain you, trying not to be harsh.

If you want to find out why something's wrong, check these 3 factors : power, sex, money.
    In this case, it's all about money.

Controllers are cheap, and it's a nice way to get into DJing with. Almost anyone can pop $400 and get an S2 and say "I'm a DJ". I can totally understand not anyone can get CDJs and stuff, but the "low-cost" DJing is the reason of the hate. I have mixed feelings about this, but in a way I support this.

Before, because equipement was expensive, you had to really be into the thing you know. Gear was a serious investement, you thought about it for a long time, and one you decided to buy your stuff, you really wanted to be good, because of the money you spent.

Now, any kid can get a shitty controller, a pirated DJing software, and download youtube rips. And they are polluating the industry with their flanger-based sets.

Just look at this forum. S2 mega-sale, super cheap. Result ? For few months now the number of repetitive threads about first gig, headphones, etc has increased alot. It's sad, because accessible DJ gear allowed loads of talent to prove what they were capable of, but I wish DJ gear stayed expensive. Money was a pre-selection, sorting all the wanabees that just want to act cool by being the DJ.

My 20 bucks (cause 2 cents is too cheap)
    This, the same thing can be said for production. Making it more accessible is a bit of a double edged sword

Ease of access waters down the talent pool. I know the easy thing (and correct) is to defend digital mediums like controllers by saying you just have to step your game up, but it's just not that simple. If it were, club owners wouldn't have negative outlooks on this stuff. If a needle in a haystack is gold and encrusted in diamonds, while it's gonna stick out a lot more than an average needle, it's still gonna be next to impossible to find. Unfortunately, the explosion of EDM's popularity combined with the next to nothing cost of start up has mad the ratio of shit to talent go up.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast