ASiO4All distorting/skipping after ~40 mins of being fine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default ASiO4All distorting/skipping after ~40 mins of being fine

I setup a laptop running Traktor 2 and a BCD3000 for an event last month, and there was a really strange problem. After 40 minutes or so of being fine, the sound became distorted and sounded like a skipping cd, but after opening the ASIO4ALL control panel there would be a 1 second dropout and then it would be fine.

45 minutes or so later, the problem happened again (and then once more about a similar time frame afterwards).

The buffers were as large as could be set, and the routing was as follows:

Master Output was ASIO4ALL 1 + 2 (inbuilt soundcard L and R)
    Monitor Output was ASIO4ALL 3 + 4 (BCD3000 monitor L + R)

The only reason we were using ASIO4ALL was because the BCD3000s master output wasn't of a great quality.

Any ideas?

Tech Mentor

sounds like laptop problems.... i have a toshiba laptop that would do this when the wifi was active. what you running laptop wise?
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Tech Convert

acer aspire 5750, has 6GB of RAM and a quad core processor so should be able to keep up no problem :/

You should disable everything that is not needed when performing.

Bluetooth
    Wireless
    Antivirus
    etc...

A better way is to have separate partition specifically for audio with none of that stuff installed in the first place...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

It's not actually my laptop (it's borrowed) so I won't be able to check for a few days, but I will make sure everything is killed (we killed all other software + anti-virus but didn't look at wireless radios)

I setup ASIO4all on my own system and put the buffer all the way down to 64 samples and it sounded just how the problems on the laptop did. Is there a way to extend the buffer beyond 2048 or diagnose what's causing the buffer to not be enough?

Tech Mentor

as patch said.. my toshiba's spec should run fine but due to poor build and hardware/drivers it was crap! the only way i got round it was creating 2 hardware profiles. One for internet and one for DJing. In the end I got a mac :/
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

I wouldn't use ASIO4ALL if you can avoid it. Mainly because it merely wraps your system WDM driver up in an ASIO wrapper.

You might want to run the DPC latency checker and see if you start getting DPC latency after 40 minutes.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    I wouldn't use ASIO4ALL if you can avoid it.
    Are there any good alternatives?

The only reason we used it was to route audio to two different sound cards, the BCD3000s master output soundcard was really quite poor.

Tech Mentor

you would need to buy a 4 channeled soundcard.. either the audio 8 or audio 10 will do you

+1 for a soundcard fit for the job
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast