Live djing mistakes?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Live djing mistakes?

I was curious what you all feel are acceptable mistakes and unacceptable mistakes ( completely avoidable ones) when djing live or on the fly trainwreck,misscue,phrase matching, no back ups etc.......Your opinion

small drift, off beat is imo "acceptable". You'll hear it ALOT, other DJ will just hear it, and people probably won't notice, unless you screw up big time and it's Bagdad in da mix.

Tech Wizard

yeah i don't mind drifting here and there....

Once had to play entire song with a pressed hotkey button on an X1 because I wasn't sure if shifting back to the Play buttons would stop the track. Glad I did though it probably looked like I glued my hand to the table.
    I have also stopped the wrong track. only once and it will NEVER happen again.
    A few years ago punched in an echo freeze and forgot that BOTH decks had the FX turned on. I recovered by bringing the forward track back in with an LPF sweep up and all was good.
    Those mistakes in my view are not acceptable. esp the second.

I'd say a slight drift is ok provided it is corrected.

The occasional mis time effect isn't the end of the world.

Things that are Def not ok:

Train wrecks, vocals over vocals (Unless done right ala word play), tracks that are completely out of key.

I'm sure others will ad.

Well here are some mistakes I have done and since, I've done them. I understand and will consider them acceptable:

1) Got busy talking to someone and grab the wrong CDJ to cue, I grab the one playing. I played it off like I was scratching and just threw the other song on. Ooooppss
    2) Got caught up in the moment and just wanted to get the next song on without bothering to phrase it or wait for the drop. This also happens when I get pissed at folks that keep coming up for requesting the same song, like Sexy and I Know It.
    3) Forgot to kill the lows and the beats sounded like a galloping horse. Yeah I was one drink away from being drunk.
    4) Talking to a hot chick and forgot to throw in the next song so I had a split second of dead air. ooopppsss
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

I might add, if you are playing out every weekend, one get complacent at times and mistakes are inevitable. Especially if you are holding down the entire night doing 4-5hr sets, taking request in an open format club.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Tech Mentor

Mistakes like train wrecking are not acceptable, clearing a dance floor because you don't know your music and are just playing tunes some random chick you think is hot is not cool.

Other than that the small stuff is not noticable by non DJ's and its all how you handle the mistakes that makes a difference

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Hasn't everyone stopped the wrong deck at least once in their career :P

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Hasn't everyone stopped the wrong deck at least once in their career :P
    hahaha yes! One of my first gigs in public was a DJ comp in a bar, 2 mixes in I ejected the track I just brought in. Safe to say I didn't win.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast