Platinum Notes Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    I think PN makes a copy of the file as an uncompressed .wav and modifies that, so your original is as it was. i could be wrong tho i don't use it just MIK + soundforge
    Yes i think thats right but you cant gain any quality back from an MP3 by changing it to a wav so when the wav is recompressed the file will lose more quality.
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
    Further talking this through with my friend. He thinks most of what PN does should probably also be doable with audacity. Since there is support for batch processing, one could probably set up a solution where one scripts the entire rip from CD as wav, process in audacity, export to mp3. Just food for thought if you are willing to get your hands "dirty" with some scripting and testing.

Can audacity work directly on the MP3 without having to reencode when save ?

I think this is how soundforge works so you could more than likely do it in soundforge to.

Gav

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yeah, Audacity will work directly in the mp3
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

how come platinum notes cant do this? surely these people who run platimum notes on there files twice are totally defeating the object of the program. All seems a little odd to me.

I get the whole processing a WAV to WAV to MP3 but if someone goes MP3 to MP3 to MP3 thats a lot of reencoding on a file and surely the quality gets worse not better.

EDIT > when i say WAV i mean a rip straight to WAV from Vinyl or CD i do understand that the fact that its a WAV it could have been an MP3 originally and makes no difference to the quality once its been an MP3.

Well, I think it is because Platinum Notes works on an automated structure whereas Audacity is completely manual. So, Platinum Notes will regulate and normalize everything so every track is working with the same standard, whereas Audacity needs to be done by you, so it doesn't matter as much.

That's just a guess, mind you. I could be completely talking out of my ass, and if someone with more knowledge can correct me, feel free.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

hahaaha i love typing stuff then uncertanty kicking in , thing is i normally just delete it , i give you credit for just goin "ah fook it i dont care this post is goin all the way to the end!!!"

if audacity is anything like Soundforge you can completely automate everything i think. I wish i could script and program, oh and know exactly what it is that platinum notes does to the waveform.... i dont want much

Well, Audacity can be automated, but you need to code the whole thing yourself, as mentioned above. I can't do that, as my college years were spent staring into a pond and reflecting upon stuff (English lit major)

oh well. Something will be figured out. From what I've seen, though, the Mixed In Key and Platinum Notes forums are really positive and helpful.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12