Should I get over my prejudice/ignorance/snobbery for WAV and change to mp3? - Page 2
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

switch to Vinyl

hey

Yeah I think anyone would be very hard pressed to tell the difference between a good quality, properly converted 320 MP3 and a wave file even on a great hi-fi or high quality great cans. When your dealing with large PA systems, lots of background noise in the venue, often not ideally set up/maintained equipment or venue acoustics that are less than desirable then there are so many other, far bigger weak links in the chain that the difference between MP3 and Wave is simply a non-issue.

However agree that metatags is a big issue, and for the waves that I do have a few times have moved collections to different laptops or reinstalled and having to re-name/re- artist and re-genre a few hundred of tracks is a PITA! Someone needs to invent some wrapper format that can still be played back/understood as a wav file with any standard software but allows the addition of tags, they'll make a fortune

My whole library is 320kbps MP3s. I recently started spinning vinyl records for fun, and I can honestly tell you that after mixing a set on vinyl, going back to playing digital is not as audibly enjoyable. On my decent sound system, vinyl sounds noticeably better to me. I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but it does make wish my files were better quality.

I also do mp3. The compromise is minimal to me.

Tech Wizard

You cant tell the difference. On DJF 1.0 some members did some empirical analysis. There is a difference, but it is impossible to see, hear or feel it with out computer analyzation.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SB View Post
    My whole library is 320kbps MP3s. I recently started spinning vinyl records for fun, and I can honestly tell you that after mixing a set on vinyl, going back to playing digital is not as audibly enjoyable. On my decent sound system, vinyl sounds noticeably better to me. I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but it does make wish my files were better quality.
    I can't get my hands on the website, but someone proved it was wrong.
    No doubt it feels better to you, you have music under your hand, physically. Still, to me it's pure snobbery (no offence intended).

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmcdonough View Post
    However agree that metatags is a big issue, and for the waves that I do have a few times have moved collections to different laptops or reinstalled and having to re-name/re- artist and re-genre a few hundred of tracks is a PITA! Someone needs to invent some wrapper format that can still be played back/understood as a wav file with any standard software but allows the addition of tags, they'll make a fortune
    FLAC has tags, can be read & played by Traktor, and is lossless...so the conversion from WAV doesn't cost much.

I have played FLAC at a gig...but not enough to know if there are any latency issues. I do convert to mp3 depending on usage. 320 for Traktor, 192 for iPhone.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    I can't get my hands on the website, but someone proved it was wrong.
    No doubt it feels better to you, you have music under your hand, physically. Still, to me it's pure snobbery (no offence intended).
    Well I'm not lying. Focusing on just listening, as objectively as possible, vinyl sounds better to me than sound coming from my S4. Maybe it is the way the sound is colored or something.

I've said it before and I'll say it again Why the F doesn't any DJ software use Broadcast wav files? You can save so much more metadata with them. And yes, one absolutely can hear a difference between wav and 320 MP3 on any system with decent speakers.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    And yes, one absolutely can hear a difference between wav and 320 MP3 on any system with decent speakers.
    I'll go with that, as with Monster Cable Pro-Copper IEMs.
    356 reasons why

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast